Unanswered: Backup Postgres database remotely

Hi All,

I am new to postgresql. I have pgadmin installed on my windows machine locally using which i m connecting to the client server and accessing the database. I want to take the backup of client database. but it seems hard the database is very large. and when i select any database and hit backup for that database it does not give me any error message but it hangs at that point. To fix this i have to restart the pgadmin.

am i missing on something? please help.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Manasi.

Provided Answers: 12
    I assume pgAdmin is simply waiting for pg_dump to finish.

Just try to run pg_dump from the commandline and check the output for any errors.

But when the DB is large (btw: what is "large" in your terms?) then - depending on the network - it might indeed some time to backup it.

I would also strongly suggest you put pg_dump into a batch/shell script and run that through a scheduler on a regular basis.

Thank you for your reply.

Large means I have a database which has number of records in each table. Also as i said.... it might because of network...but i want to understand when pgadmin is executing this backup process i m getting why the admin tool is getting hangged and say "Not Responding". right now i just tried to backup 1 table which has around 300000 rows in it. it is been more than 15 mins now my pgadmin says "not responding".

15 minutes for 300000 is way too - much unless you have a very slow network.
    (and besides 300000 is definitely not "large" )

Does it work (or how long does it take) when you run pg_dump directly from the commandline?

When I am taking backup of a table using pgdump command i m getting following error:-

pg_dump.exe --host 1.10.20.1 --port 5432 --username postsql --file "C:\User\Database\Desktop\myfiles_20101129.bac kup" --table public.mytbl "mydb"

pg_dump: [archiver] could not open output file "C:\User\Database\Desktop\myfiles_20101129.backup" : No such file or directory

Well, apparently the directory "C:\User\Database\Desktop" does not exist

The path C:/Users/Database/Desktop is my local machine path.
    Is it something I have to provide path of the server........from where i m taking the backup?

And you did run pg_dump locally on your desktop?