Unanswered: Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2010 ?

Hi,

Originally I created an database in Access 2003 which required various security settings for various users in different tables, by creating a new security.mdw file for the database.

I found that in Access 2007 there was less support for this feature, but it was still usable from this Microsoft article : How to use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2007

My question is, if I upgrade to Access 2010, will I still be able to edit user rights and continue using the security.mdw file I have now ?

I read somewhere that Microsoft was trying to move people towards using SharePoint for Access security, or something like that. But if I can continue using the old security files instead, I prefer that. The old method seems more tailorable and user friendly.

Thanks !

Provided Answers: 59
    you can continue to use workgroup security providing you don't change the underlying database file format. so that means you mhave to continue using A2003 and earlier as opposed to A2007 file formats. you can still develop in A2007, just that you cannot store in that progarms native format.

by definition this means workgroups are on the way out, and that this may be a good time to change to sahrepoint, or consider using a different security mechanism altohgether
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

NEW!! Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pathology View Post
    Hi,

Originally I created an database in Access 2003 which required various security settings for various users in different tables, by creating a new security.mdw file for the database.

I found that in Access 2007 there was less support for this feature, but it was still usable from this Microsoft article : How to use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2007

My question is, if I upgrade to Access 2010, will I still be able to edit user rights and continue using the security.mdw file I have now ?

I read somewhere that Microsoft was trying to move people towards using SharePoint for Access security, or something like that. But if I can continue using the old security files instead, I prefer that. The old method seems more tailorable and user friendly.

Thanks !
    dear my friend : thank you
    this is very good link (How to use the Workgroup Administrator utility in Access 2007)
    i test method 1 in access 2010 and i enjoy .
    Last edited by gfmm; 12-26-11 at 12:05. Reason: mistake