Thread: Query/Report

Unanswered: Query/Report

I have a query that lists the last names, first names, ethnicity, gender, and age group of our clients. As it stands that's all it is...an unsorted, disorganized listing.

I would like to know how to sort the information in such a way that I can run a report based off this query that organizes the information as follows for example:

• African American Female 0-18
    • African American Female 19-62
    • African American Female 63 and older
    • African American Male 0-18
    • African American Male 19-62
    • African American Male 63 and older
    • Caucasian Female 0-18
    • Caucasion Female 19-62
    • Caucasian Female 63 and older
    • etc...

This task should be easier than I'm making it.

I suppose I should add that I need to get a total number for each group, unduplicated clients.

Did you like this attached?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can't open the attachment. What is it?

This is the archived file with a zip program, you must unziped

How to Unzip a File

or

WinZip Free Download

I don't understand. My computer won't open it.

In order to sort it the way you want, you may need to add a couple of tables that have the sort you want. For example a gender table - tblGender might have:

GenderCode Gender Sort
    -------------------------
    F------------Female----1
    M------------Male------2

Then in the query you can join on the Gender or GenderCode to get the sort order. Add the Sort to your query and sort Ascending or Descending.

But it looks like the data is pretty much in Alpha order. Is the sorting in the query not working the way you want it to? You should just be able to put Ethnicity first and sort Ascending, followed by Gender and sort it Ascending etc.

If you are trying to do this in a report, the order in the query is ignored by the report. To order the data use the Sorting and Grouping option in the View menu. You will only see it when you have the report in Design View. Then just add Ethnicity, Gender, etc. and sort accordingly.

All that is described @DCkunkle have archived in the attached file, you just have to unpack with unzip program which can be downloaded from the link that I forwarded to you in previous post.

Ahhhhh....I can't get it unzipped.

Last edited by eremija; 12-04-10 at 16:21.

DC-I was messing around with it a bit at the end of last week. I got it semi-sorted, but as you pointed out, the order of the query is ignored by the report....so I think I'll just run the query and try to follow your suggestions about sorting and grouping within the report.

This seems to be the most logical way to work it.

Thanks for your input. As always, I appreciate the help!

Welp, the report seems to be working well now...except that it gives me duplicated names, (which it would do, being that I haven't told it otherwise)...

Does anyone know how to get unduplicated results with a number total listed at the bottom of each category?

This is my goal.

Thank you