Unanswered: DB2 UDB Backup Issue

We have a payments application that selects from a db about every 30 seconds. It usually runs in less than 30 seconds. However, when a db backup is running it takes more than 4 minutes to run. The application has logic that bring the exe down on the client and issues an alert when it runs past 4/5 minutes. This always seems to happen at the end of a backup. I have seen where a backup will continue to do some processing after all the pages have been backed up. Can someone tell me what happens a the very end of a backup before it returns control and how long does it usually take? Whatever it is, would it cause read locks, causing an app to take more time to run ? Since this is a SWIFT payments app, the select can't use with ur.

DB21085I Instance "db2inst1" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09053"
    with level identifier "06040107".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.5.0.3", "special_22945", "U818976_22945", and
    Fix Pack "3".
    Product is installed at "/app/liqdg/sw/IBM/db2/V9.5".

Solaris 10 OS

Try setting the UTIL_IMPACT_PRIORITY to 10 on the backup command. Obviously, this will make your backup run longer, but other DB2 activities will be less affected by the backup.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Util_impact_lim

I have UTIL_IMPACT_LIM = 10 for the db. Doesn't that do the samething ? Remember I don't have any issues while the backup is running. Its after all the pages have been backed up and db2 is doing something at the very end that I have the issue.

Workload impact by throttled utilities(UTIL_IMPACT_LIM) = 10

Thanks

How do you know all pages have been backed up (from list utilities? ) ? It's most likely including the logs (default with online backup in v9.5). You can execute db2pd with -app -tra -loc -uti to see exactly what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by redwolf View Post
    I have UTIL_IMPACT_LIM = 10 for the db. Doesn't that do the samething ? Remember I don't have any issues while the backup is running. Its after all the pages have been backed up and db2 is doing something at the very end that I have the issue.

Workload impact by throttled utilities(UTIL_IMPACT_LIM) = 10

Thanks
    Try using the UTIL_IMPACT_PRIORITY parameter in the backup command itself.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390