Angry Unanswered: Is there any way to group databases in custom folders in SSMS?

Hi,

My question comest from the frustration that I have every time I launch SSMS. I have a few hundred of different databases in one server instance, from different projects and customers, and having them in one long flat tree view just does not feel very ergonomic to me.

Is there any smart way to keep them more organized? I thought, that for example being able to group them in custom folders would be a nice solution, but as far as I know, SSMS does not support it. Unfortunately... And I just NEVER seem to remember the name of THIS particular database for THAT particular customer. Not to mention the pain of working with multiple databases from different customers at the same time.

Being able to group stored procedures in a similar way would be a nice added value, but I'd be more than happy with being able to group databases only.

Any hints?

Provided Answers: 54
    Start SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio).
    From the menus, select View | Registered Servers
    Expand the Database Engine object
    Right Click on the Local Server Groups object
    Select the New Server Group menu option
    Complete the dialog (group name and description).
    Add Registered Servers to the newly created group
    Repeat as necessary.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Oops, nevermind! I was thinking you meant servers, you want to work at the database level.About the best answer I can imagine there would be to create a database extended property called Description and use that. If you have a database documentation tool like SQL Spec, then you could incorporate those properties into your documentation which should help a bit.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Yes, I know that I can have a hierarchy of registered servers. However, this does not help much to have a similar hierarchy for each of those servers databases, eg.:

Code:
    Databases
      Green Customer
        Database 1
        Database 2
      Yellow Customer
        Database 3
        Database 4
      Other Customer
        Northwind
        HisImportantDB
        OtherDB
        OneMoreDB
    instead of

Code:
    Databases
      Database 1
      Database 2
      Database 3
      Database 4
      Northwind
      HisImportantDB
      OtherDB
      OneMoreDB
    all in SSMS

That's an interesting idea! Would you expect this hierarchy to be maintained by the sysadmin on the database server so it would be global to all users, or maintained by the Windows User, so that the hierarchy would be fully user configurable but would only exist for that specific Windows User on a specific machine?

-PatP

I have been recommended this thing and so far it is working.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Wouldn't it of just been easier to create a database for each customer, then each "database" have a schema for it?

Custom folders in SSMS

Hi,

I am just finishing SSMS addin which enables to create custom folders directly in Management Studio. It's free of course. Check it out here. Any feedback is very appreciated.

Jakub