Exclamation Unanswered: Web services call from the Informix Stored procedure

Is it possible to call web services from the Informix stored procedure. Also the web services returns the value which will be used back in the stored procedure.

Andrew asked:
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtr View Post
    Is it possible to call web services from the Informix stored procedure. Also the web services returns the value which will be used back in the stored procedure.
    I just checked page 3-50 of the "Guide to SQL - Syntax" for release 11.5 The only thing a stored procedure can get back from any program it runs with the SYSTEM command is the program's exit code. And it does warn you that:
    • Whatever the program does is not part of the transaction that called it. So, in fact, it can start a whole new transaction.
    • The procedure (and hence, your thread) will block until that program exits. Thus, if that program blocks, you may find yourself in a long transaction rollback.
    • Even worse, you may end up in a deadlock as it tries to roll back.

So I suspect it may not be a good idea to run a web service from your SPL code. And, according to the manual, forget about getting any useful data from that web service directly.

That said: If your web service can be manipulated into dropping data into delimited files then you can SYSTEM call another program to load those files into a table. THEN you can access the data.

Digression: Why don't I suggest loading the table directly from the SP code? as I recall (and the feature may have been added more recently) the LOAD command we use in dbaccess is not actual SQL syntax; I recall getting syntax errors trying to PREPARE a load statement in 4GL.

In Oracle there is a sneaky method called an EXTERNAL TABLE, where you can integrate a delimited file into the database without actually importing it into the database. Updates in place must be horrid on the CPU. If I am reading the manual correctly (Page 2-18) this feature is available only in XPS.

Does the above 2-step sound like a reasonable workaround for your needs?
    ---------------------------
    + Rasputin Paskudniak ------------------------------+
    | In pursuit of undomesticated, semi-aquatic avians |
    +---------------------------------------------------+

Thanks for the reply. Really its sounds good. I thought of moving the Stored Procedure into web services accessing and updating the data which Stored Procedure is doing right now.