Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Unanswered: Plz Help:Which Database tool support me to Store Documents and Videos??

hello all,
    i am working on project to store my college notes and video lectures in a database, so that can be shared among all the other users globally on the web.

first of all, i want to know which tool help me or enables me to store files like Word files(.docx), Excel files , Powerpoint files (.pptx) , (.pdf) and also the Video lectures which maybe in (.wmv) or (.avi) ..

Just tell me which database tool will help me to store such information and how much efficiently??
    Name the Tool and The data Type thank you so much..
    waiting for your answer..

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Just tell me which database tool will help me to store such information
    any SQL client will suffice in getting the raw data into the database.

What is the deadline for finishing this application?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 6
    Facebook?:?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 59
    that question often crops up
    the world seems split between those who suggest you store information inside a db as a blob and those who suggest you stroe a path to the resource as a URL. theres plusses and minuses for both, but personally i prefer storing a URL and pull the resource from that location as needed

as to what db engine will handle that the answer is (virtually) any and if you use the URL approach then the list of dbs not to use becomes even smaller as the load on the server drops dramatically.

so its over to you
    what ISP's are you looking at, that may dictate the choice of DB
    what front end language are you using, again that might point you in the direction of a DB
    what budget have you got. if its a zero or near zero budget then that rules out virtually all db's except MySQL & POSTGRES,

if you are developing in JAVA don't rule out DERBY, I'd be very cautious using a file server product such as filemaker or Access (Jet) and so on.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent View Post
    >Just tell me which database tool will help me to store such information
    any SQL client will suffice in getting the raw data into the database.

What is the deadline for finishing this application?
    the deadline of the project is 7 months from today..

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    that question often crops up
    the world seems split between those who suggest you store information inside a db as a blob and those who suggest you stroe a path to the resource as a URL. theres plusses and minuses for both, but personally i prefer storing a URL and pull the resource from that location as needed

as to what db engine will handle that the answer is (virtually) any and if you use the URL approach then the list of dbs not to use becomes even smaller as the load on the server drops dramatically.

so its over to you
    what ISP's are you looking at, that may dictate the choice of DB
    what front end language are you using, again that might point you in the direction of a DB
    what budget have you got. if its a zero or near zero budget then that rules out virtually all db's except MySQL & POSTGRES,

if you are developing in JAVA don't rule out DERBY, I'd be very cautious using a file server product such as filemaker or Access (Jet) and so on.
    im quite familiar about the URL approach.. but the requirement of my Database is to store the information in the database..
    till now i m just searching which tool is best for providing me the facility to store document and videos inside the database..
    kindly do let me know thanks...........

In SQL Server 2008, you can use the new FILESTREAM datatype for storing documents, videos, and other large media files:
    FILESTREAM Storage in SQL Server 2008
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Post thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    In SQL Server 2008, you can use the new FILESTREAM datatype for storing documents, videos, and other large media files:
    FILESTREAM Storage in SQL Server 2008

thank you so much for sharing such a nice information..
    well can anybody tell me what if we use Oracel database instead of sqlserver??

can anybody tell me which one will be better depening on the project i am willing??

You can post the same question in the Oracle subforum, if you'd like. The solution in Oracle would be different.
    Personally, I would stay away from Oracle for all but the largest enterprise projects. Its an administrative nightmare compared to SQL Server.

blindman

Unhappy :(

i have asked the same question in Oracal database tab as well, but i m not getting the reply from there ((
    so i am gonna need so much help on this
    in next 7 month i m going the build the database and the front end as well.. i know its not goona be easy, but need some support from you guys (

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by awaisdar001 View Post
    i have asked the same question in Oracal database tab as well, but i m not getting the reply from there
    Are you looking for a database recommendation or a tool for a specific database system.
    I still don't understand what you are aiming at...

We can help you out, but we can't build it for you.
    And frankly, this sounds like at least a moderately challenging project. If you do not have a fair amount of database design and SQL coding experience, you should really bring on a board a DBA to help you out.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    Are you looking for a database recommendation or a tool for a specific database system.
    I still don't understand what you are aiming at...
    listen, let me make it clear to you...
    i want to make a project in database where i could store Documents and Multimedia data.
    firsrt of all, i want to make my self clear what database to use for that?
    Oracel or Sqlserver..
    if Sql Server than what versoin?

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    We can help you out, but we can't build it for you.
    And frankly, this sounds like at least a moderately challenging project. If you do not have a fair amount of database design and SQL coding experience, you should really bring on a board a DBA to help you out.
    yes i need that help according to conceptual help..
    for now, a basic question what database to use, which version of SQL is better?

listen, let me make it clear to you.
    Unless you want to spend a lot of effort on administration, go with SQL Server.
    Either direction you choose, use the latest version of the product. For SQL Server, this is MSSQL Server 2008.

blindman