Unanswered: DB2 V9.5 installation on AIX 6.1 Failed!

Hello,

i hope someone will be able to help me with this issue....
    i have an AIX 6.1 machine and im trying (like a miilion times) to install DB2 V9.5 on it but it continue to fail with this error message:
    DB2I1281E the database manager configuration file could not be initialized

Update DBM cfg SYSADM_GROUP errcode = 8
    DBI1281E The database manager configuration file could not be
    initialized.

this is a fresh DB2 installation and im doing it using the DB2setup wizard which create for me all the users and groups.
    i've installed this DB2 several times on AIX5 machines and had no problems.

in the DB2 V9.5 documentation and installation guide there is no prerequisite regarding the OS maintenance level and it should support AIX 6.1
    i've also tried to update anyway the ML of this machine ML02 SP1 but still the same errors.

i've searched this error at google and its looks like the main reason its happened its a resolving issue.
    the problem is i have no resolving issue
    host 'hostname' and nslookup to my machine and to the IP - does resolve the right answer and everything looks fine.

i've also tried to change /etc/resolve to local4 after reading it in some thread - but it didnt help.

also, i've checked permissiong problems.

the BD2 installed in the default path of /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5 and this folder created using the db2 installation.
    i dotn see any permission problems.
    i have permissions witht he db2 owner(db2inst1) to access this directory, also on /tmp

i've also though this is a ulimit problem and changed the system to be unlimited.

does anyone knows what should i check further?

i dont understand how permissions can be the problem cause this directory created suring the installation, its kind of wird and i have never had this problem with DB2 isntallation.

any help will be appriciated!!!

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    There will be more details in the installation log. This may be obvious, but are performing a root or non-root installation?

Hi

thanks for the response.
    this is a root installation.

i've searched in the logs and looks like the db2icrt failed during this phase:

Program name = db2idbm
    Instance home dir = /home/db2inst1, Sysadm group = db2iadm1
    Instance type = 1, Auth type = server

DB21015E The Command Line Processor backend process request queue or input
    queue was not created within the timeout period.
    Update DBM cfg SYSADM_GROUP errcode = 8
    DBI1281E The database manager configuration file could not be
    initialized.

searching this error in the also gets me to the name resoultion/permissions problem which i've already checked.

thanks....

It looks like you've already checked/tried many things including:
    https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docv...id=swg1LI72689
    https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docv...g=en&loc=en_US

Both links can apply to db2icrt and v9.5.

It's the instance creation step that failed during the install (the installation itself completed successfully). My suggestion would be to install the latest fixpak and redo the db2icrt command manually (you should find it in one of the logs created during db2setup).

Hi

thanks again for you help.

actually yesterday i've tried to install DB2 9.5 Service Pack 3 with hope it wont fail but it did with the same error messages.
    also, i've tried than to create the instance manually and its stil failed.

somehow i think the problem is something related to the ports.
    all the general error messages indicates something about resolving, although its not the reason.

i can see in db2diag.log i have the following error:

2010-12-12-17.37.23.258219+120 I1106A395 LEVEL: Error
    PID : 467106 TID : 1 PROC : db2
    INSTANCE: db2inst1 NODE : 000
    EDUID : 1
    FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, command line process, clp_start_bp, probe:3
    DATA #1 : Hexdump, 4 bytes
    0x0FFFFFFFFFFFD7B8 : 870F 0042 ...

this error with the request time out repeats in different things i've tried.
    i though maybe there is a problem in the port at /etc/services.
    i've tried to execute the command db2icrt using -p port_address instead of the name but it also failed
    i can see that /etc/services i have an entry fo
    db2inst1 50000
    this port isnt used by any other service, but i know that in the original command of the db2icrt its try to configure db2c_db2inst1,
    this portname isnt includes in my /etc/services, is that can be a problem?

its a wild guess cause the installation itself define this file so i guess she knows what she's doing

i dont understand much at DB2 so im not sure what else can i check...

im trying to downlod right now the AIX64_V9.5_recommanded_fickPack, which is FP7, hopefully it will help somehow...

thanks a lot

Provided Answers: 1
    Check if you indeed have the user db2inst1 and group db2iadm1, the user's home directory with correct permissions, and that you can "su - db2inst1".

yea, sure i can.
    i have db2inst1 user which is belongs to db2iadm1 group. (and also to dasadm1 group)

i've also have dasusr1 and db2fenc1, the db2setup itself created it automatically durint the installation.

the /opt/IBM/db2V9.5 directory owned by this db2 instance (db2inst1) and has permissions og 755.

im able to su to db2inst1...

Did you use root install? /opt/IBM/db2V9.5 is owned by root if doing root install.

You do not have to have the port number in /etc/services if you have the port number (instead of service name) in the dbm cfg.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi

you are right, the ownership of /opt/IBM/db2/V9.5 is root.
    im doing a root install of course.
    the port name isnt configured in the DBM cfg cause im unable to configure it and looks like db2 installation isnt able to configure it either.

due to this message:
    2010-12-13-16.10.59.776516+120 I1429A395 LEVEL: Error
    PID : 688180 TID : 1 PROC : db2
    INSTANCE: db2inst2 NODE : 000
    EDUID : 1
    FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, command line process, clp_start_bp, probe:3
    DATA #1 : Hexdump, 4 bytes
    0x0FFFFFFFFFFFD778 : 870F 0042

thanks for the help

Hi

i've also found this doc https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docv...id=swg21205772

i wasnt able to check db2bp process using dbx or something cause the db2bp process isnt running on my system.

anyhow i've tried to change DB2BQTRY and DB2BQTIME settings but still the problem exist...

any help will be appriciated, i have no idea what to check else, i feel like i've check everything and further more.

thansk a lot

well, eventully its worked.
    after changing DB2 parameter of CLP time out, i was able to execute few commands which in the begginning failed also.

i've managed to configure the SVCENAME port, and also to update DBM cfg witht he SYSADM_GROUP as i wanted.

and now db2start successfully without errrs.

its kind of wierd i had to do so much workaround for DB2 installation.

im creating a new AIX 6.1 LPAR and will test the installation again to figure out which steps i had to do (im confused already)

after i will have a lits of things which i had to do in order to install DB2 9.5 on AIX 6 i guess i will ask IBM if its make any sense..

thanks a lot for your efforts guys

Levi