Unanswered: Setting DefaultValue from a variable.

I have a text field bound to a control on a normal data entry form. I want there to be a default value for this field ... but this should be configurable. I really do mean a default value - I don't want to just fill it in as soon as the form is opened (otherwise any "new" record instantly becomes populated and I end up with a file full of almost empty records...)

I have an "admin" screen where an admin user can set the string to whatever.

In my data entry form I have a Form_Open event routine which reads the string from where it was stored in the admin screen, and puts it in a string variable (private to the form) called "CurrentDefault".

So now, also in the Form_Open routine, I want to set the default value for the control ... If I say

txtControl.DefaultValue = """Hello World"""

then the default value is set.

But if I say

txtControl.DefaultValue = CurrentDefault

then it doesn't work, I see #Name?

I've tried variants like "" & CurrentDefault & ""
    but I'm getting lost in my quotes and strings, can anyone sort me out?

TIA

Provided Answers: 19
    In the first example you're assigning a literal, Hello World, but in the latter Access has to retreive the variable CurrentDefault. The Form_Open event may be too early to perform this retrieval. Try moving your code to the Form_Load event instead.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Missingling - interesting thought, thank you, but that's not it. My code in Form_Open can access and manipulate the variable ... and just to be sure I moved it to Form_Load instead and it made no difference.

I don't know if it is a red herring, but the microsoft website directs you to use the three " characters, as in my example above, and I'm wondering if this is relevant (I know it doesn't work if you use only one).

Thanks.

Cracked it ... you need FOUR "" characters to make sure that you get a string in the form "hello world" ... so

X.DefaultValue = """" & varname & """"

This works!

Provided Answers: 19
    Glad you got it working!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007