Unanswered: Measurement And Unit Of Value

I am working on a health care system where physicians will be entering information. Much of the information entered will be numeric values with some type of corresponding 'Unit Of Value', ie Height can be measured in Feet/Inches, or meters or other types measure depending on the item.

My question, as I have not seen this before is how to store the unit of measure. Seems bad to have a table with column Height and another column HeightUnitOfMeasure?

Any input would be appreciated.

already gave you feedback the first time you axed this question

please do not cross-post
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

But was looking for other opinions...............

Provided Answers: 5
    Rudy always answers for all of us, he's kind of a ball hog.

Provided Answers: 5
    or borg, i forget which.

Quote Originally Posted by dav1mo View Post
    or borg, i forget which.
    see? already ze process of assimilation has begun
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Provided Answers: 54
    I refuse to participate in ass-immolation!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I refuse to participate
    is that why these threads haven't yet been merged?

our friend pinkfloyd43 asked the same question in two different forums

it would be so much more fun if the threads were merged and moved to the Database Concepts and Design forum
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    is that why these threads haven't yet been merged?

our friend pinkfloyd43 asked the same question in two different forums

it would be so much more fun if the threads were merged and moved to the Database Concepts and Design forum

You are correct, I have learned! As I was not getting many replies in the MySQL area, and I am much more familiar with SQLServer I was hoping to get different/varied opinions on the subject.

Point well taken as it's always dark on this side of the moon!

Provided Answers: 1
    I understand perfectly. As a rule, the responders in the SQL Server forum are smarter, better educated, more polite, and better looking than those in the MySQL arena.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    I understand perfectly. As a rule, the responders in the SQL Server forum are smarter, better educated, more polite, and better looking than those in the MySQL arena.
    Moreover you might get a different solutions to the questions. Bottom line is I guess I am going to have to have a UnitOfMeasure column for every column that a physician can input data, again ie Weight can be entered in Lbs Or Kilo,
    etc.

I do believe the SQLServer guys are better looking and able to get hotter chicks that the MySQL guys and the MySQL guys don't want to spend money on drinks, etc............................Of course it's a joke, get over it!

Provided Answers: 54
    Just an observation for what little it might be worth. To help the DBA and programmer(s) keep a larger percentage of their sanity for a longer time, there is another approach that might be useful to consider...

Another way to handle this is to create a UI (User Interface) that allows the user to enter data in a number of convenient units. The UI then converts the units into a common form such as MKS which is used internally for callculations, computations, etc.

A common adaption to user needs is to allow the user to specify their preferred measurement system, then use functions with any display/reporting tools to convert the stored measurements to the preferred units of the user.

This way an American can enter their vehicle speed in miles per hour, an engineer can use meters per second, and a Brit can use furlongs per fortnight. Everything is stored and computed within the system using a single system of measures, so that any code to manipulate or validate data only has to be written once. Presentation functions convert from the stored values to the preferred display values, and everybody is happy!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

furlongs per fortnight lololololololol
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca