Unanswered: SQL starter question(s)

Hi

I am looking to learn SQL to get into a SQL job for work. I have used SQL in my last job and am currently not imployed so have time on my hands to dedicate to SQL.

Here go's - I have SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition with SP3 installed on Windows XP.

A brief summary of my very basic SQL knowledge all using SQL management studio is I have some basic query knowledge eg select/update/insert/alter and have set up of transactional and merge replication in my previous job.

I am looking for some advice Re best place for a beginner to start learning SQL including how to best create a database and if an application such as Microsoft Access should be used to display the information or another application? (I do not currently know how Access or other could show the information in my database?)

This is purely for learning not commercial use.

I have found some freely available ebooks for SQL 2005 but am not sure if this would be the best place to start.

Any advice on where to start, what to use and what to learn to get me off to the best start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rik

Provided Answers: 11
    Its a pretty broad topic. Are you more interested in the programming side, or the administration side of things?

Life is but a stage....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    Its a pretty broad topic. Are you more interested in the programming side, or the administration side of things?
    I want to learn re design and administration for starters, suggestons as to what and how best to learn.

Thanks.

I want to learn how to do piruettes on a jet fighter, and how to rebuild engine of a 767. What's the best place to start?
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 11
    Start by reading up on backup and restore topics. These will be very important for administration, as it is the closest thing to an 'undo button" you will likely get. Practice various scenarios like restoring a database, restoring a database to a point in time, and restoring the master database.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    Start by reading up on backup and restore topics. These will be very important for administration, as it is the closest thing to an 'undo button" you will likely get. Practice various scenarios like restoring a database, restoring a database to a point in time, and restoring the master database.
    Thank You, I have now found that best way to learn is 'to do'