Unanswered: Timesheet database help!!!

Hi Folks,

I am currently trying to build a database for to manage the timesheets of several employees.
    Idealy I would like to have the employees enter their time into a spreadsheet style table containing the following headings:

Project Number

Project Number and Task would be lookups from seperate tables and underneath each of the days in the current week the employee would enter the duration of work on that particular project.
    Is there a way I can create this? I have been playing around with cross tab queries but I cannot figure out how to allow them to be edited (used as an update query) in datasheet view.

Any help would be very much appreciated. As you can tell this is over my head, I hope I have explained it clearly enough for you to understand.

Let's see what you've got so far. Attach a sample of your DB with some relevant data.

Here is a simplified version of what I have been working with. Idealy I would like to be able to see a form showing the entries in the same way as the crosstab query and be able to add new time entries and modify existing entries.

I'm beginning to think that this is not possible with a crosstab query, if you could cast some light onto another way to do this I would be very grateful!

Thanks for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up

Perhaps a little different approach. Instead, use a Split Form. New Data Entry and Data Modification can still be done and can be somewhat easier to deal with instead of a Queried Table which could span well across the screen if the project is large and many many dates need to supplied for any one given project.

Attached to this post is your sample db but modified. I deleted the crosstab query and instead utilized a Split Form. Records can be viewed either by Employee or by Project number. This can be done by selecting the particular criteria from any one of the two specific ComboBoxes. All Records can also be displayed is so desired.

There is coding attached to the Time Entries form and therefore you will need to set Access 2007 to Trust the database location so that the code will run if you haven't already done so.

By some chance, if you don't know how to do this then follow these steps:

To trust your folder, click:

* Office Button (top left)
    * Access Options (bottom of dialog)
    * Trust Center (left)
    * Trust Center Settings (button)
    * Trusted Locations (left)
    * Add new location (button)
    * Select the Browse button
    * Navigate to where the sample DB is located and select
    * OK button. If there are subfolders involved then make sure
    Subfolders of this location are also trusted checkBox is also checked.
    * Hit the OK button again.

That's it. Close and Restart the sample DB.

Hope this helps somewhat.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for showing me how to do that! I learnt some nice tricks looking over what you did.

The only problem is I have been given strict guidelines for the timesheet part of this. As follows:

Must show current week (Saturday through Friday), user can skip forward to next week or navigate back to previous.

Must show all entries with the following column headings:

The user will select a project and task from a combobox and then select the corresponding day and enter a number for the total hours worked.

I know this is possible as I have seen another database use the same form, I am just unware of how to do it!

If you could give me any tips on this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks again,