Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1

    Question Unanswered: Does Postgres Supports Cluster like MySQL ?

    Hi All,
    I would like to know that does Postgres supports clustering concept like MySQL Clustering or Oracle RAC ?
    We need to setup our server side architecture where we want a load balanced servers hitting to shared data storage, not in active/passive modes but working simultaneously. Replication is one way to create load balanced architecture but we don't want replication here. Is it any way to make a shared storage cluster for two or more postgres servers ??
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    311
    Provided Answers: 1
    Clustering

    PostgreSQL is more commonly utilized in the enterprise environment so I can't see how it could NOT support clustering.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,934
    Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosinFL View Post
    Clustering

    PostgreSQL is more commonly utilized in the enterprise environment so I can't see how it could NOT support clustering.
    Well Postgres does indeed not support the same type of clustering as MySQL does. But most of the time a single PostgreSQL server scales a lot better than a single MySQL server, so "clustering" is usually only used for fail-over scenarios not so much for load-balancing

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    311
    Provided Answers: 1
    I've never used MySQL that much and assumed their clusters were only used for fail over and not load balancing. So you're saying basically:

    MySQL Clustering = Load Balance & Fail Over
    PostgreSQL Clustering = Fail Over ONLY

    Is that correct?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,934
    Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosinFL View Post
    I've never used MySQL that much and assumed their clusters were only used for fail over and not load balancing. So you're saying basically:

    MySQL Clustering = Load Balance & Fail Over
    PostgreSQL Clustering = Fail Over ONLY

    Is that correct?
    I have never really used MySQL but that was my impression, yes.

    But with 9.0 the hot standby server can also be used for queries, so you get some kind of load balancing out of the box.

    But of course there are 3rd party solutions for PostgreSQL (pg-bouncer, pg-pool) that can give you load balancing as well. They are a bit cumbersome to setup though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    311
    Provided Answers: 1
    I've only got one PG server at work that gets backed up every hour but you're saying if I want to configure a 2nd cluster for fail over (kind of like RAID 1 mirror), I would need to use a 3rd party utility or is this native to PostgreSQL?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,934
    Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosinFL View Post
    I've only got one PG server at work that gets backed up every hour but you're saying if I want to configure a 2nd cluster for fail over (kind of like RAID 1 mirror), I would need to use a 3rd party utility or is this native to PostgreSQL?
    No, fail over support has been part of PostgreSQL since 8.0 I think

    This is all explained in the manual:
    PostgreSQL: Documentation: Manuals: PostgreSQL 9.0: High Availability, Load Balancing, and Replication

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,848
    The key point to remember is that postgresql scales up, handling hundreds of concurrent users on the individual server much better than MySQL, which shammat mentions in Post #3. Meaning, of course, that the need for load balancing is lower with pg.

    Ref Page 6 of this server comparison at Tweakers.net. The gist of the article is a real-world hardware server comparison under various levels of concurrency, but in taking a look at the results, it's quite clear that pg scales quite nicely. MySQL, not so much.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,934
    Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by loquin View Post
    Ref Page 6 of this server comparison at Tweakers.net. The gist of the article is a real-world hardware server comparison under various levels of concurrency, but in taking a look at the results, it's quite clear that pg scales quite nicely. MySQL, not so much.
    I do prefer PostgreSQL over MySQL for various reasons, but I wonder how this benchmark would look like with MySQL 5.5 as they claim that the write performance of InnoDB has been improved drastically.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •