Thread: Secure Printing

Unanswered: Secure Printing

I have a very basic workbook created on my work pc, along with a set of very basic macros that look essentially like this:

Sub PrintMe()
    Sheets("Sheet2").PrintOut
    Sheets("Sheet1").Select
    End Sub

Not exactly super advanced stuff. We use secure printing at work, so anything printed from my computer is held until I go to the printer, select my staff number from the list, enter in my passcode, and then it prints everything I've sent to the printer.

The macro works great on my pc, no problem at all. However, when I sent the workbook to a colleague.... the printing gets messed up. The first printout they do goes through as my staff number (but with my colleague's passcode). The subsequent prints work fine.

The macros are the same, and the problem exists regardless of which order they choose (either of the 4 macros which are the same, but point to different sheets).

Now... for the some reason, the first instance of any macro appears to be attaching itself to me as the author of the macro.

I'm stumped. Any thoughts or possible solutions for me? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,

When you send your workbook to your colleague, if your colleague tries to print a sheet by using the print button (ie. not using the macro), does the same problem occur on the first print?

No, printing without the macro appears to work fine.

This wouldn't be a big deal... but all the data is input on the first sheet, and the other sheets are populated by the data on the first. I don't really want people looking at the other sheets (or needing to look...), as the idea is to make it as quick and simple as possible to print the necessary document (sheet).

I've actually got tabs hidden to prevent (most) people from even knowing the sheets are there.

That's really strange. I'm not sure why that would be.
    When you send the file to your colleague, if he saves it before running the macro, does it work okay?

One suggestion I have is to go to Tools > Options > Security Tab > Tick the "Remove personal information from file properties on save" checkbox. Save the file and then send it to your colleague. This should remove your information from the workbook.
    Last edited by Colin Legg; 12-21-10 at 19:14.

Sorry the delay in the reply.

Yes, the same problem still exists when my colleague saves the workbook to his computer first. We also tried saving the workbook on a network shared folder. Problem still persisted.

I will try your option about the removing personal information checkbox, and get back to you after work tomorrow. That's a very good suggestion!

Cheers for the help so far!

Sorry again for the delay.

I tried your option, but didn't correct the problem. I'm close to giving up... but it seems like such a foolish problem to have to give up on...

Sorry, I don't know why the software would be picking up that information. I'd suggest contacting your IT floor support or the software vendor.

I've tried the onsite IT support, and they were stumped as well. Saying exactly what you've said, that there's no reason it should be picking up the information.

I'm ready to give up to be honest, which is a shame. /shrug.

Thank you very much for your help though!