Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: What to do with DBF database?

Hey everyone,

I have a foxpro or something, .dbf database file. I need to pull data from it, but unfortunately it seems there is no connection driver for foxpro for 64 bit systems, I have searched high and low. Since my server, and all computers are 64 bit I have no way of connecting to this silly foxpro database.

So does anyone know how I can import its contents into a table? Or any other way to solve this problem? The data is right there in front of me I just have no way of using it!

Thanks!

you need the software the created it...or something...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser View Post
    you need the software the created it...or something...
    I have the software that created it... but I need to pull data for another application. or somthing.

1. write a console app that connects to .dbf using oledb or odbc
    2. compile the app for 32 bit.
    3. install the 32 bit oledb or odbc provider for .dbf
    4. run your app

probably more work than what you are looking for but it should work.

you can use tool

You can use "navicat for SQL server". Very easy to use. Use this tool. You can import your dbase or any other files into your database.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny_007 View Post
    You can use "navicat for SQL server". Very easy to use. Use this tool. You can import your dbase or any other files into your database.
    Ill look into navicat, thanks. Does the lite version handle imports? Because the regular version costs about $160 bucks...

another tool you can use is kettle 3.2

It is Pentaho's product. Comes free of charge but at beginning, you will find it difficult that's why i would suggest you to use navicat and in future if you want to try any other tool, then one of them is kettle 3.2. It's way better than navicat but little difficult to undersand and handle.

It seems the free version does not allow DBF importing...

Do you have MS Office 2003/2007? If I am not mistaken, both of those are 32-bit editions, and Access can either import or allow for you to link to your DBF.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Quote Originally Posted by rdjabarov View Post
    Do you have MS Office 2003/2007? If I am not mistaken, both of those are 32-bit editions, and Access can either import or allow for you to link to your DBF.
    I can export the DBF to an Access MDB, but there is again no 64 bit driver for MDB.

Microsoft has a beta 64bit driver that will come with office 2010, we tried it but could not connect, it seems it still has issues.

Provided Answers: 54
    I think that you're missing rdjabarov's point. Use your existing MS-Access to copy the data (as a client) from the DBF file into the SQL Server table. While it is normally silly to use an app for "heavy lifting", in this case it makes sense. Let MS-Access do what it does well, don't try to get your SQL Server to do the heavy lifting even though that is normally the best bet.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I think that you're missing rdjabarov's point. Use your existing MS-Access to copy the data (as a client) from the DBF file into the SQL Server table. While it is normally silly to use an app for "heavy lifting", in this case it makes sense. Let MS-Access do what it does well, don't try to get your SQL Server to do the heavy lifting even though that is normally the best bet.

-PatP
    But it wont be live. I cant set up a table link from dbf to access because, again there is no 64 bit driver. All I can do is import data. And once the data is in access, I still cant link it to sql... the whole problem is nobody seems to support 64 bit which seems ridiculous to me.

If I only needed the data for a one time shot it would be fine, but this data gets updated once a day.

Are you saying that you already tried to write an SSIS package that imports or updates SQL table(-s) using MS Access as a source, and it failed?
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Quote Originally Posted by rdjabarov View Post
    Are you saying that you already tried to write an SSIS package that imports or updates SQL table(-s) using MS Access as a source, and it failed?
    would you not still need a driver?

what we ended up doing was using navicat to do scheduled imports to sql. unfortunately, the dbf does not have a primary key, so it must empty the table and repopulate 15k records every night.. sigh....

but it works.