Unanswered: Paradox 11 App - slow on windows 7 not on win xp

Hello everyone.

PROBLEM: Paradox 11 based application runs slowly on Windows 7 compared to the idential install on Windows XP.

PARADOX APP SETUP: This is a client server architecture. There are two Windows 7 clients, 1 Windows XP client and one Windows XP workstation acting as a server for this Paradox application.

OVERVIEW OF THE PROBLEM: The Paradox client on the workstations are accessing the data on the Windows XP server over a 100mbit Lan. The Lan is fast and up to spec, we tested with a gigabit switch as well and the problem remains.

The essense of the issue is that the Paradox client installed on all of the Windows 7 clients take forever to open up the forms sitting on the unc file share while the client installed on the Windows XP workstations opens up the forms instantly.

In addition, Explorer on all of the Windows 7 workstations can brows the unc share instantly.

SOME TESTS PERFORMED:

1. Explorer from Windows 7 workstations - opens up the unc file shares instantly on the server.

2. Uninstalled all antivirus / antispyware software from Windows 7 clients.

3. Turned off the firewall.

4. Turned off Aero.

5. Used the Windows 7 workstations to copy 100 mb or larger files (and folders with small files in it) from the unc server share to a local workstation basically at the top speed a 100mbit network can sustain.

6. Used all the suggestions here: Windows 7 Network Slow - 6 Easy Ways to Make it Fast

7. set the ../software/borland registry key permissions to everyone full control

8. set the ... well'something'64/32 registry key setting to the correct one

9. tried to run the app in compatability mode

10. checked bd admin for any weirdness .. nothing really jumps out at me.

11. turned off tcp/ip

12. checked that dns settings are correct

13. copied the data files to the local windows 7 workstations, told the paradox client to use those files instead and VOILA! lightning fast but entirely useless in a networked environment!

GENERAL THOUGHTS : basically this is very specific to this Paradox client accessing resources over a network share. It happens on both Windows 7 workstations BUT NOT the Windows XP workstatation. At this point I really don't know where to go from here on this one. It almost seems like the Paradox client is doing something wrong that Windows 7 doesn't like and the os is forcing the app to do the right thing after taking a bunch of time to think about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to take the troubleshooting from here?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by holycow; 12-24-10 at 01:12.

paradox has been a dead platform for almost a decade.. available support and knowledge are minimal.. even less than "minimal" when Win7 is involved.. I hope that you are already committed to replacement process..

using a workstation as a "server" has always been a dangerous concept.. if the "workstation" part locks or crashes, the "server" part isn't protected like a real server, and you can lose everything..

using the older Win version as the server in a mixed-version scenario has frequently had this kind of result.. have you tried a Win7 server instead of an XP server?

most of the remaining long-term paradox folks are found at the paradox community website, not here.. Home - Paradox Community
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

OK, so this is a database forum and Paradox is despite Corel's egregious mismanagement actually a pretty good database, so let's offer an answer rather than a sneer.

Those who use Paradox for desktop based business data management would hardly call it a dead program. We would, however, agree that it is shamefully neglected. Let us hope that they sell it at some point to someone who will make it compatible with other programs. In the meantime, good help is hard to find. (Please, Delphi, take it back.....)

A few things re: Pdx and W7: 1) i hear there is a patch. if not corel has a forum. Go gripe. Gripe anyway, not that it helps a lot. (I have an issue with an .exe delivered with the program - Paradox first denied any knowledge of it, saying it was a virus. Odd that it was on their installation cd, then...)

2) I have no problems on 7, but the nagging error on closure on Vista (for which there is probably also a patch), so there may be something else going going on. Just for laughs try running it in compatibility mode.

3) The DB community: No longer really an option. There is no sign up opportunity, and the forums run on old mail lists. You can search.

4) I am using the most recent version of Paradox. That may be why I have no problems.

5) If you aren't stuck in Paradox, ie, if you don't have large numbers of Blob files (embedded documents, memos, pictures stored in a separate file with the .MB extension) that you can't export into a compatible program, you might really want to get out now rather than investing in upgrades. Access isn't deep down nearly as well designed or intuitive program as Paradox, but it's better maintained and has better support (for a price after you have begun.). Depending on the nature of your database, export is fairly easy. You can also read Paradox databases except for Blob files

let's offer an answer rather than a sneer.

that *was* an answer.. and the best one he's gonna get.. I've been one of the most available paradox support people for almost 20 years.. when I say there's hardly any support left, I know what I'm talking about.. it's sad, but it's true..

Paradox is *not* gonna get sold, upgraded, fixed, or anything else.. it lives and dies with the BDE, and the BDE has been abandoned by Borland.. Corel only licensed the selling of the retail product.. end of story..

any business that continues to use it is working without a net.. if their in-house support gets hit by a bus, they are screwed.. there are very few quality, long-time developers left, and the number gets smaller by the day..

A few things re: Pdx and W7: 1) i hear there is a patch. if not corel has a forum

as with the last few patches, it's totally external.. part of the interaction of the suite itself.. nothing within paradox has been touched, and be glad of that.. the actual corel paradox team has been gone for eight years..

and there is no corel support for the forum.. if anything is asked there, it is answered by the same folks from the community site..

I have no problems on 7

since 7 came out, we've only had reports from a few dozen people.. that's it.. some good, some not so good.. either way, not enough for any solid advice, or solid patterns..

The DB community: No longer really an option

it's the *only* option.. there is constant, ready help there.. it's the only place left on the planet where you can get same-day, reliable paradox help..

If you aren't stuck in Paradox you might really want to get out now rather than investing in upgrades.

wow.. something I agree with.. how cool is that..

Access is better maintained and has better support

and it's also the poorest excuse for a multi-user databse ever made, because of it's screwed-up sharing logic.. oplocks.. which is the thing we've all been disabling all these years, so that every other database platform *will* work correctly..

thanks for the help and comments, but you're really hurting more than you're helping.. you might want to make use of the community forum, too..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Angry

"it's the *only* option".. there is constant, ready help there.. it's the only place left on the planet where you can get same-day, reliable paradox help.."

Unfortunately the DB community is not accessible. Or I'm dumb. (not mutually exclusive). I had an account, but can't access it and there seems to be no place to restart. Have looked. Prestwood Boards is another relatively useful site.

It would never occur to me to use Paradox with a highly networked organization. We need access for two people, and for a "boutique" operation it's still a good option, but I agree that if MS makes BDE redundant with any future system, we will be royally scrod. Unfortunately the relatively massive Blob content of our files has us locked in. That being said, it works for me and our needs (small recruiting firm). Possibly because we are still and will probably remain a desktop based company with very limited networking.

I do not love Access at all, but it's one way to get a query by form working on Paradox, if you except the Blob fill issue. Access is no more a product for a larger company than Paradox, but it is suitable for small entrepreneurs. Remember that many of us are our own IT departments.

I made the possibly inane assumption that the person asking the question was coming from the same place as I am (small). If he is looking at a larger, multi user complex set of data I would have to agree with you: Get out as fast as you can. I would certainly never encourage anyone to start a business with Paradox or Access.

I don't think any of the other single end user desktop based relational db programs still exist. Foxpro? I guess Filemaker does. Oracle and Sap for a small entrepreneurial business are the equivalent of elephant guns on squirrels. At any rate, he's probably best off with Access (ugh) unless there's an independent application of SQl/MySql I don't know of. For one thing, like Paradox it allows the end user to set up his interfaces, queries and files fairly intuitively without another language.

If, however, he's just keeping his record collection and running the Elks' Lodge membership off a desktop, there's little reason to change.

I didn't know that Borland had dropped BDE.

If you know a way to switch object files to another system, for the love of Pete, let us know. From what I have seen so far, it remains an illusion.

Unfortunately the DB community is not accessible.

?? go to Support, then to Newsgroups.. or, if you like using the old newsgroup readers from the old days, go to the Software Links page on my web site, and click on the newsgroups there, to get it to fire off the old newsreader on your machine..

Prestwood is another relatively useful site

used to be, but nobody bothers to help and answer questions there anymore..

I don't think any of the other single end user desktop based relational db programs still exist.

your points about size and scope are all valid.. small operations can live with this stuff forever, like I have..

filemaker, dbase, and access are still out there, too.. but the world is trying to make everyone into small client/server businesses, and they're driving the desktop apps away..

paradox was the best there ever was, and ever will be..

I didn't know that Borland had dropped BDE.

that's cuz you can't find the rest of us, in the newsgroups..

If you know a way to switch object files to another system, for the love of Pete, let us know.

there is no valid platform-to-platform translation of objects.. there's really no way to do it.. your data moves, and your app is your blueprint.. that's about it..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

thanks for all the answers. all of it is useful, one way or another.

i did find a workaround of sorts once i stepped back and stopped trying to actually solve the problem and focus on my options.

the solution is to run the server component on a Windows 7 environment and the file access issues disapear (with all the duly noted problems associated with not running this within a proper server environment). this is very clearly a Win7 --> WinXP file access issue alone.

as for the migration options, this is a new client site and we were called in to just solve the speed issue and worry about the rest later. the migration issue will come up soon i am sure, but in the mean time there is a vendor involved that did a great job in trying to solve the problem. simply because they cannot be on site, certain lateral options did not occur to them.

and as a side point, yeah, there are vendors still using paradox!

while the 'plan your exit strategy now' sentiment is right on the money and we will work with the client to help them plan for the future, let's just say that running into Paradox has been a bit of a treat. i run a linux shop and am a technology enthusiast. i love running into odd little corners of the computing world that still seem to get the job done regardless of some of the cobwebs.

running into paradox is a little like that scene from tron where flynns son finds his old lab in the arcade and wipes off the screen only to find a cli interface to an old Solaris environment STILL RUNNING GREAT ... except for that one single glitch.

i must say, i should have looked for a demolecularizer first before i started clicking around though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green View Post
    [B] .. any business that continues to use it is working without a net.. if their in-house support gets hit by a bus, they are screwed.. there are very few quality, long-time developers left, and the number gets smaller by the day..
    i had no idea about this. very interesting. i will take this into consideration as we move forward.

thanks again for a ton of info about the status of paradox, that is extremely helpful.

this is very clearly a Win7 --> WinXP file access issue alone.

thanks for the reply.. that was my first guess as the most likely issue..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Alpha 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green View Post
    I don't think any of the other single end user desktop based relational db programs still exist.
    What about Alpha 5? I looked into this a while back to replace our Paradox stuff. I played with it a little bit and I think I could replace all my in house Paradox stuff with it. Never proceeded with it because what I have is still working and I don't have the extra time.

Kirk

geez, Kirk.. if you're gonna quote me on something from 4 years ago, at least you could quote ME, not the comment that I dis-agreed with
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Steve,

Sorry...

Seems like I remember you helping me with a Paradox issue quite a while back and probably on a different forum. Thanks for whatever issue that was.

Curious what you are using and recommending now days for small offices of less than 6 computers that need a database. Someday soon, I will need to replace my Paradox installs. I am thinking that I need to dig back into Delphi and set up a mySQL/Delphi solution, but I am not in touch with the db stuff at all anymore.

I did play with Alpha 5 a little bit and it does seem very powerful for a small business.

Have a happy weekend,

Kirk

Curious what you are using and recommending now days

I am no longer doing tech support or programming.. I just keep an eye on the old Paradox forums periodically..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Question Deathwatch, eh?

So trying to get to the Usenet forums to glean ancient solutions (back to the Working Directory issue, which will now not resolve with deletion of pdxregcln.exe) I am stymied. I said elsewhere I would like to read them. Unfortunately opening them floods the browser with thousands of tabs, something like the Sorcerer's apprentice. If you have a way to access the, I'd appreciate it.

opening them floods the browser with thousands of tabs

never heard of that.. Outlook? Windows Mail?

back to the Working Directory issue, which will now not resolve with deletion of pdxregcln.exe

the solution is to delete the registry entries
    --

Oasis Trading Post