Question Unanswered: PostgreSQL DBA Interview next week

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have a job interview next week for a PostgreSQL DBA position. The interview is going to be 1-2hr technical round. The interviewer has already told me the topics they will be concentrating on
    1. PostgreSQL architecture
    2. SQL
    3. Linux scripting for DBA activities

I was also told what the company is looking for in a candidate. They are looking for a DBA to join their team

1. To manage a 10TB datawarehouse
    2. Upgrade from one version of PostgreSQL to higher
    3. Hardware upgrades too
    4. Perform data cleanup while migration
    5. Suggest new strategies to manage the datawarehouse and keep it clean
    6. Suggest new tools available in the market for datawarehouses. He mentioned netezza specifically.

So, could you guys please suggest some material/sites/resources for me to prepare for this specific interview? They are assuming I have 5 years DBA experience.

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by taskeen21 View Post
    They are assuming I have 5 years DBA experience.
    And? Do you have that on PostgreSQL?

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    And? Do you have that on PostgreSQL?
    no. i don't

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by taskeen21 View Post
    no. i don't
    And you want us to do your preparation work?

Do you have any experience as a PostgreSQL DBA?

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    And you want us to do your preparation work?

Do you have any experience as a PostgreSQL DBA?
    excuse me. I am not asking you to do any preparation work for me. i am asking for resources/material where i can go/use to prepare myself for the interview. and to answer your question, i do have experience as a DBA but in MySQL and Oracle. But, i have gone through the PostgreSQL's documentation to know the theoretical stuff. now, i want to know the practical stuff about it so i can prepare myself not just for interview but also for the job itself, if i get it. now, if i have answered all your pre-screaning questions could you share something, if you have ?
    don't mistake me that i have attitude. i am just clearing up your mind that i dont want you or anyone to take the interview on my behalf. i will take the interview. i want to prepare well for it. and the job. if i get it. is that wrong?

I think its generally less demanding being a Postgresql DBA vs an Oracle DBA. (This from the standpoint of an Oracle/Pg developer not DBA) There are a lot of similarities between Oracle and PostgreSQL (far more than between MySQL/Pg or MySQL/Oracle). Do some research on where they differ and you'll get a good idea where you stand.

If you have a few weeks prep time, I'd recommend reading the book PostgreSQL 9.0 Admin Cookbook. If you have less time than that, you can probably find a few Pg Admin for Oracle DBA type articles. But you'll largely have to rely on your Oracle DBA experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artacus72 View Post
    I think its generally less demanding being a Postgresql DBA vs an Oracle DBA. (This from the standpoint of an Oracle/Pg developer not DBA) There are a lot of similarities between Oracle and PostgreSQL (far more than between MySQL/Pg or MySQL/Oracle). Do some research on where they differ and you'll get a good idea where you stand.

If you have a few weeks prep time, I'd recommend reading the book PostgreSQL 9.0 Admin Cookbook. If you have less time than that, you can probably find a few Pg Admin for Oracle DBA type articles. But you'll largely have to rely on your Oracle DBA experience.
    Thanks a lot.

this is my first technical interview for a postgreSQL DBA position. so, i was wanting to know if anyone out here with a lot of experience could share interview questions he/she would ask OR has faced in an interview. i am just asking this coz am puzzled about what type of practical questions the interviewer will ask.