Thread: nodenumber help

Unanswered: nodenumber help

Hello,

I am running a multithreaded application against a DB2 database - and I am trying to breakdown the total data retrieved by the query below into smaller subsets that each of the threads in the application could process independently -

Select
    X.C1
    from X left outer join Y
    on
    X.Ck = Y.Ck*

Ck - is the distribution key for both X and Y - they are collocated

(This query is representative of the actual workload I am trying to optimize)

The first query I wrote to split this workload down into 8 smaller subsets (as there are 8 partitions on our test DB server) was -

Partition-1

Select
    X.C1
    from X left outer join Y
    on
    X.Ck = Y.Ck
    where mod(X.Ck,8) = 0

Partition-2
    Select
    X.C1
    from X left outer join Y
    on
    X.Ck = Y.Ck
    where mod(X.Ck,8) = 1

and so on for other partitions

however, I am told that this is running 8 joins - one for each thread - ON ALL PARTITIONS and then the mod predicate is being applied - that defeats the purpose of breaking the workload down

So I am considering using the nodenumber function as an alternative to the mod function -

obvious question - Would nodenumber function ensure the query issued from each partition be restricted to a single node?

As always, thanks for your help!!!!

- G

The documentation of NODENUMBER() does not give such a guarantee, so naturally you cannot really rely on this. It depends on the plan that the optimizer chooses for the queries. Have you had a look at those?
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development