Unanswered: QuickBooks Vs. Peachtree; Which is better for pulling into Access?

I am a financial analyst for a credit union. I have been asked to decide on an entry level accounting package for our sister company (a non-profit organization). We're primarilly looking at QuickBooks and Peachtree. Can anybody advise me on data accessiblity on either of these packages? I would like to be able to do my own analysis in Access instead of having to fumble around a custom report writer built in to either of these packages. I just want to be sure that whichever package we decide upon provides an interface for third party program access.

Thanks!
    Joshua

After a quick Google search (I've been interested in this as well), they both look about the same. There's 3rd party programs out there to do it for both programs. Looks relatively simple to do by setting up a DSN in either package.
    Peachtree seems to have hidden tables/fields, but, I'm betting quickbooks does as well.

We use Quickbooks here, but, the "latest/greatest/shiniest" version isn't so great, it's integrated with IE (which we don't use thankfully) but blows up with IE8. There are Windows updates that cause it to crash, backups/compacts can actually cause the QBW file to get larger than it was (neat huh?). We've actually been looking at possibly moving over to Peachtree or a different accounting package, mainly due to Intuit's "What? You want us to fix this? Seriously?" attitude.

So while it seems connecting Access to either package is easy enough to do, I'd take a long serious look at the packages themselves.

Sam, jmo
    Good, fast, cheap...Pick 2.

Third party programs that allow data accessibility? Can you not link in directly to either from Access using QGPL or other method? I hadn't heard that about the problem with Quickbooks, is there no way to disable online functionality? Is it just backing up your data remotely? I had read some about Quickbooks providing a SAAS version allowing access online through IE. Not sure if that's what you're currently using. On what version did you have the problems? Also, do you know if either package has any grant tracking built into it?

Josh

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but, I'll answer those I can.

Yes, you can have direct access to either package via MS Access by setting up a DSN within the accounting package.
    We are using QB 10 Enterprise. Our backups are done directly from the server (I'm IT, not Accounting, we don't let the Accounting department do their own backups any more...). The only web access to QB we allow is via a Citrix/TS connection (company standard here is Firefox). The database bloating issue has been a problem for use since QB 8, IIRC.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help, I'm still delving into a lot of this myself. Google search strings I've used mostly are "MS Access to Quickbooks" and "MS Access to Peachtree". Once you sort out the chaff (bogus sites...."FixYa!" can go pound sand!) there's some very helpful articles out there. I'll see if I can't find the last one I used to create invoices in Access and export them to QB.

Sam
    Good, fast, cheap...Pick 2.

No, that's cool, I appreciate your help!

Josh