Thread: Vpn

Unanswered: Vpn

Hi all we are working on getting our server off the internet (has sql server on it) we are trying to give the users access via VPN. is that a good idea?? so they can do data entry

Provided Answers: 54
    Emphatically YES !!!

Having a SQL Server exposed to the internet is a very, very bad idea. Off the top of my head, I can't even think of any way that it might possibly be a good idea. I never even considered the possibillity that this might be what you are doing.

Get the SQL Server off of the internet immediately! VPN is a good answer, but be sure that you use a good VPN product that gives you both decent security and only chafes the users a little bit!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

The problem is they wanted all the users to be albe to access is because they have different sites, they get to it through Access 2007 Mixed Mode. So the tech had to open a port and make that possible. The thing is we are gettign DOS attacks now they have not been able to get in cause the main SA account is Disabled and has been for awhile. But we are trying to find the money (nonprofit organization which runs on grants) to get a good VPN. We have an account with CDW as a nonprofit we usually get discounts. here is one I found is this any good

Cisco ASA 5500 Series SSL VPN license
    Mfg. Part: ASA5500-SSL-100= | CDW Part: 954266 | UNSPSC: 43233004

The Cisco ASA 5500 series SSLVPN edition enables organizations to securely provide network access to a broad array of users, including mobile and fixed endpoints, remote offices, contractors, and business partners.

Supporting a wide range of deployment and application environments, the Cisco secure remote access solution delivers maximum value to your organization with the most comprehensive set of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) features, performance, and scalability in the industry. Cisco secure remote access also provides organizations with the ability to use a powerful combination of multiple market-proven firewall, intrusion prevention (IPS), and content security technologies on a single unified platform.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=954266
    Last edited by desireemm; 01-04-11 at 22:40.