Unanswered: Date/time field combobox

I have a combobox, which is a date field. The data source is a query. The correct dates appear in the drop down list but when a date is selected there is an error message:

"... a number that is larger than the fieldsize setting permit"
    What is the cause of the error and how do I change fieldsize?

Access 2007, Windows xp.

Thank you
    Kennedy522

Provided Answers: 19
    Is the Combobox bound to a field in the underlying table, and if so, what is the Datatype of that field?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Yes it is bound, data type is date/time with medium format

That being so, the only thing I can think of is that the Combobox is corrupted. I'd delete it and then recreate it.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

I have tried deleting and re-creating the combo box and get the same message. I have looked for a "fieldsize" property and cannot find one. In this case I will "skin the cat" another way, the form works when the combobox is changed to a textbox, a bit less convenient but functional.

Thank you for your suggestions and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy522 View Post
    ...I have looked for a "fieldsize" property and cannot find one.
    A field defined as Date/Time has no Field Size property, of course, so that makes sense! I assume that the entire error message you received was

Error 2113: The value you entered isn't valid for this field. For example, you may have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than the FieldSize setting permits.

I would guess that the error generated actually had to do with the "value you entered isn't valid for this field" part rather than the "number that is larger than the FieldSize setting permits" part.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Access tends to get snarly, at times, when Combobox data is anything except Text.

What, in plain English, are you doing here? Retrieving dates using a Combobox, rather than a Calendar, is kind of unusual.

What is the SQL statement being used for the RowSource of the Combobox?

What version of Access are we talking about here?

And lastly, are we talking about using US formatted dates, i.e. mm/dd/yyyy or some other? Access is very US-centric and does all kinds of odd things when faced with, for instance, the dd/mm/yyyy format used by British Commonwealth nations.

A last thought is that perhaps the database itself has been corrupted, rather than just the Combobox control, and that creating a new, blank databse and importing all objects into it might solve the problem.
    Hope this helps!