Unanswered: Filter on INNER JOIN Query

Is there a way to FILTER on another field in the TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10 BEFORE this query runs which will limit the query to only specific records that match the filter - say "*DAMLS*"

This table has 59,000 + records.

Code:
    strSQL = "UPDATE [tblCARETSData] INNER JOIN [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10] ON [tblCARETSData].[ListOfficeID] = [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[OFFICEID] Set [tblCARETSData].[ListOfficeName] = [tblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[Officename]"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL
    strSQL = "UPDATE [tblCARETSData] INNER JOIN [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10] ON [tblCARETSData].[SaleOfficeID] = [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[OFFICEID] Set [tblCARETSData].[SaleOfficeName] = [tblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[Officename]"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL
    It sure would help me out!

Thanks.

Rick

Provided Answers: 1
    It would be more expensive to generate a "pre filtered" recordset than adding a where clause to your update statement. Are you sure you can't meet your goals by adding a WHERE clause to what you already have?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Adding a WHERE Clause to an INNER JOIN Query

Would the WHERE clause go just before, or after the"CurrentDb.Execute strSQL" statement?

Thanks Teddy . . .

Rick

Provided Answers: 1
    It would be part of the string you're assigning to strSQL. You can add a WHERE clause to an update statement just like you can on a normal SELECT statement.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Red face Placement of WHERE

Here is where I tried putting my WHERE clause . . .

strSQL = "UPDATE [tblCARETSData] INNER JOIN [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10] ON [tblCARETSData].[ListOfficeID] = [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[OFFICEID] Set [tblCARETSData].[ListOfficeName] = [tblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[Officename] WHERE [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[OfficeSubSystemLocal] = "CARETS_SOCALMLS"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL

It failed miserably . . . the entire line of code turned red when I placed the WHERE clause as shown.

I have little experience with SQL.

Thanks

Rick

Placement of WHERE filter on UPDATE QUERY Solved

This was successful in my case.

strSQL = "UPDATE [tblCARETSData] INNER JOIN [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10] ON [tblCARETSData].[ListOfficeID] = [TblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[OFFICEID] Set [tblCARETSData].[ListOfficeName] = [tblCARETSOfcRostersAPR10].[Officename] WHERE statement goes here!"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL

Thanks.

Rick