Unanswered: Access 2007 - Controls disappearing??

Hi all,

One of the ladies in my group is working really hard on learning Access, and is using Access 2007. She has a form with a number of controls (drop boxes, date/time fields, text boxes) that are coming from a query. The query is pulling data from a dozen or so tables; somehow, she's managed to have the controls on her form all disappear and I am stumped to figure out what she's done! She said the last thing she did was to refresh her form; I have tried everything I can think of (Allow Additions is set to yes, Recordset Property Type is not snapshot, and although there was no data in her main table I added a number of dummy rows and still nothing). There's no code, there's nothing fancy - this is a supremely basic database, and yet I'm completely confused.

Any ideas??? A million thanks in advance!

Red face Same thing just happened to me

Same thing - working in Access 2007 and suddenly all the controls are gone and the form appears to be blank except for my background image. If I figure it out, I'll post an answer. Looking forward to other answers if someone else figures it out first. Thanks.

"fixed" it but still don't know what happened

This may not help you unless you have a recent copy of hte database. I happened to have a copy from yesterday that still worked fine (linked to the same tables as my problem database). The form that was giving me problems still worked in the copy. I simply cut/pasted all my VBA out of my problem form, into the same module in the backup copy and everything works fine.

I'm not sure what I did to cause the problem or if Access just corrupted the other file and it would never have been recoverable. As long as this doesn't happen again, I'll let it go and not worry about it. Very strange behavior. To my knowledge I didin't do anything to cuase the problem. It's 99% likely though it was an action I took, but still, not sure what. Good luck with your issue.

You might try creatinga new form, copy/paste all the controls out of the problem one, copy/paste the VBA over if you have VBA, delete the problem form, rename your new one the same as the old and see if that fixes it. Post if you figure it out as I'm still curious what happened. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by darth.pathos View Post
    Hi all,
    The query is pulling data from a dozen or so tables;

If the query does not return any record and is not updatable then the form will be blank.

Generally I find that you only need one table in the query as the record source if you are wanting to enter data into the form.

The fact that there are a dozen or so table in the query of the record source for the form tell me that the query is probably not correct. This will only cause issues.

If you are need to add data to related table, usually the many side of a one-to-many relationship, then you need to use a sub form for the related table.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    Boyd's answer is spot on! Controls don't appear in Form View when two conditions exist at the same time:

There are no records in the underlying recordset

The form cannot have records added to it

Several things can cause a Form to not be updateable:

• AllowAdditions is set to No.
    • RecordSet Type Property is set to Snapshot
    • It is based on a Query, where data comes from two or more tables, and the Query is Read‑Only.

Read‑Only Queries are explained clearly by Allen Browne:

Microsoft Access tips: Why is my query read-only?

Boyd's suggestion of using a related table, with a one-to-many relationship, and a form/subform scenario is the standard approach to this kind of prroblem.

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 02-17-11 at 22:14.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007