Unanswered: Connection pools

Hi,

I'm working on a project that is to use Oracle VPD, and we need around 50 different connection pools to acess the Oracle VPD from Weblogic.

I have one developer that told me that it is not feasible to have this type of configuration with 50 connection pools, because the resources will be wasted, and because of other reasons.

However based on my knowledge the whole concept of connection pools is to save resources and to reuse the existing connection, and not going through the overhead of opening/closing too many connections.

Can you please let me know your opinion on the many connection pools. Is that an issue?
    The usage of the connection pools is not evenly distributed, some conenction pools can have 2-300 connections, while others one or even zero.

Thank you,
    Jimmyy

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyy View Post
    Can you please let me know your opinion on the many connection pools. Is that an issue?
    It's hard to tell as you did not describe your environment.

In general I'd say 1 connection pool per (web) application is pretty much the standard.
    So if you have 50 applications then 50 pools should be fine.

On the other hand, if you have very few applications, then why do (some) applications use more than one pool?

So the real question is: where do those pools "come from"?

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    It's hard to tell as you did not describe your environment.

In general I'd say 1 connection pool per (web) application is pretty much the standard.
    So if you have 50 applications then 50 pools should be fine.

On the other hand, if you have very few applications, then why do (some) applications use more than one pool?

So the real question is: where do those pools "come from"?
    Thank you shammat,

Maybe I misunderstood the Oracle VPD... I thought that the ideea behind the Oracle VPD is to ensure a level of separation/security even at db level through a mechanism offered out of the box by Oracle.

Based on the above definition, the conneciton pools come from the different users that need to access the different areas of the db via Oracle VPD.

So the architrecture that I had in mind is: one Weblogic app, and based on the user type one connection pool will be chosen.

The configuration is Oracle 10, WL10 and Solaris 10.

Regards,
    Jimmyy