Question Unanswered: Automatic Reports?

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to run a report automatically that emails to the designated party weekly records?

For instance I would like to email xyz person all records entered in last week, and do so on an automatic basis and have it continue week to week.

Is this something that can be done with access?

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 6
    Sure. What I tend to do is create an mdb that just does this when it opens, then it closes itself. Then I call that mdb from Windows Scheduled Tasks. In your case, it sounds like you want a query that gathers the records for the appropriate time frame, a report based on that query, and VBA or a macro that uses SendObject to email that report.
    Paul

Thanks, Paul. If it's not much work, do you happen to have info on the process as to how to do this? I am an intermediate user of Access and VBA so I still need some guidance.

Much appreciated.

How to do what, specifically? At it's simplest, an autoexec macro with 2 actions, SendObject and Quit.
    Paul

To make it run on a weekly basis for a certain date range.

Weekly I already mentioned to use Scheduled Tasks. Date range criteria would look like:

Between Date() - 7 And Date()
    Paul

Provided Answers: 59
    theres two issues here
    one is the how and where of runnign a report periodically that sends the 'stuff' to your email list
    the other is the way you create the reports, ie how you define what the reporting period is.

so first off create your report(s)
    bvuild the logic in those reports as to how you limit the rows returned. Im guessign your beancounters will define a week ending rule (probably the Sunday night). then run your report that checks the current day and then works out from that what the previous week is and selects / limits data appropriately.

if you are a bit smarter about it you could desing the report so that it couild be run at anytime. ie abstract the limiting logic to a single central point and get reports to use that single central point to limit data... the reason you can then run comparative reports based on any dataset as required.

someone lost the email server and you need to re run the report suite from 2 weeks ago.. no problem

some one decides that they want a weekly report, but at the end of the month they one a consolidated report... not a problem. by designing out the chokepoint now you free up your developer time at a later date.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton