Unanswered: IIS and SQLServer Coexisting

I have a customer installation where my Web application (IIS) is residing on the same server as the database (SQL2K8). Customer has dozens of other applications, and in every other case they separate the Web side and the database side on separate servers. This may simply be because my application was the first of their Web applications, before they implemented any best-practices, and we've been letting sleeping dogs lie since.

I read here in a posting, several weeks ago, that IIS and SQLServer don't necessarily coexist peacefully. Thus far, for my purposes, the two have coexisted adequately.

But reading that posting has raised questions in my mind as to whether or not I might see some performance improvement if these two systems were moved to separate servers.

Can someone point me to a white paper, or some kind of reference that speaks to this issue?

Thanks.
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

A white paper you can find faster than I can type, but in lamen's words - it's not that those 2 can't live together. Of course they can. The reason you see recommendations against such co-existence is because of what the mostly common resources they rely on. In the case of IIS and SQL (just like in the case of many other servers or flavors of RDBMS) both rely on memory. This means that if one takes it, the other's memory will be paged. And when needed - will be brought back while the first one will have its memory paged, and so on. This leads to CPU and disk taxing. That's all
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

hey PP we have a number of hybrid servers, I have tried to severe the bond (politically) but to no avail.

I might try running a perfmon trace on the memory of each as well as the paging as rdj suggests to see how much of a problem it is. Anyone know good counters to put in a trace for this?
    Last edited by Gagnon; 01-13-11 at 13:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Gagnon View Post
    hey PP we have a number of hybrid servers, I have tried to severe the bond (politically) but to no avail.

I might try running a perfmon trace on the memory of each as well as the paging as rdj suggests to see how much of a problem it is. Anyone know good counters to put in a trace for this?
    Wait stats?

I have 2 servers running both IIS and SQL Server and I never had any problems with them, but keep in mind that I use a superb server management company.

Level of "superbness" (or fanatical support wink-wink) of a hosting company is not a factor of IIS/SQL coexistence In your case it's clear, that your boxes are spec'ed to handle both servers - 8GB of RAM, RAID-1 for C, RAID-10 for D, etc. Also, intensity of usage is low enough so that you don't see any issues. High intensity usage environments expose the problem right away. To prove me wrong, generate about 700 batch requests per second (this is considered low!!!) on your SQL, and see if it has an impact on your IIS.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."