Another Newbie, saying Hello!

Hi guys!

Wow....I'm currently taking my masters in education, and there is one class required that introduced me to DBA work. I fell in love with it. Money, Money and more money.....jobs all over the world.

Now, I'm not an idiot to the computer world, and have dabbled in html, php work and stuff on my own. But compared to others, well, I would still be like a baby in a cradle. I always did just want I wanted, for fun...not what businesses wanted/require.

However, I'm looking to get certified rather quickly, and learn about paths I can take to achieve this. I'm not interested in getting another BA, for after working 16 years in businesses, I don't think I need someone to teach me this stuff (business management), nor do I need to learn about computers from scratch. But, the sql, databases, php, security and others, I would defineatly have to learn on. I would prefer it & I know I have weaknesses in all of them.

My question is, and I hope there is someone who can guide me....(1) Which DBA would you start off with? Oracle or MSDBA? I have found that Oracle is used for for large companies and MSDBA smaller. (2) Which seems to be used more overseas? (3) from your opinion, is self-learning fairly easy to do - considering that one can/enjoys working on problems as such? I'm a personal person, and I can hire a tutor on Odesk or meet a friend who will help along the way.

I am too far in for my Masters to switch. But, there is something else I should let you know about me: I also hold certifications in areas like Fertilizing and more. I started these little businesses, and while had no formal schooling in these areas, I did it. So, that is why I'm not afraid to self-study and learn more for exams.

Thanks and look forward to seeing responses

1) neither
    2) depends on what side of the sea you are
    3) no
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Not much of a 'guide/advice' to becoming a DBA, but I'll accept your answer. I've read other websites as well. (compare and contrast).

There seems to be portfolios I should create,during the process of it too. I'm gradually learning that it is almost an Art form.

I believe I'm defineatly going to continue research and achieve these certs. There is a business in this that can be evolved as well.

By the way....I want to move to the pacific end of the world. I have my reasons & methods.

As for the exams...they say it depends upon the person.

Ok...cya around.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
    Not much of a 'guide/advice' to becoming a DBA, but I'll accept your answer.
    yeah, well, for question 1), you did ask me which one ~i~ would start with, not which one i thought ~you~ should start with

similarly for 3), in my opinion self-learning is not easy, it's a ~lot~ easier if you actually use some learning resources like a course, a textbook, a website, etc.

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Database engines are almost like religions. Some are strong in geographic pockets, some are strong in specific castes, others don't have the strongholds but are more widely and evenly distributed. Oracle is used by big business on big hardware, and is used as a third-party database included with an application by a few vendors. DB2 is actually many different products using a single name, and is used by customers ranging from SMB (1 - 50 employees) to VLB (10,000+ employees) for many kinds and sizes of problems. Microsoft SQL Server is used by VLB to PDA (yes, it can run on cell phones!) for databases from 100 Kb to 100+ Tb. MySQL is used by many websites, many small businesses, and in niche environments across the board for a variety of reasons and projects.

As I wrote before, the usage of databases tends to vary a great deal. Microsoft SQL Server is used heavily world-wide because it is so tightly integrated into their Development Studio and languages. MySQL is used because until a few years ago it was Open Source and free to use, but that is no longer the case. Oracle is known by the "IT Priesthood" worldwide, but it doesn't have the recognition that either Microsoft or MySQL do amongst the majority of developers. DB2 is well known, almost everyone has heard of it and many people use databases built on DB2, but it doesn't have the developer base that other products do today.

Since you are close to having a Masters Degree, you know a lot more about how you learn than we could. I prefer to read about technologies and work with them in order to learn them well (deeply and throroughly). Others prefer instructor led classes because that is typically the fastest way to learn to use a product. Everyone has their own learning style, and their own timetable... You ought to be able to decide what works best for you.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.