Unanswered: bad file name or number

Hi Gurus,

I have a access 2000 /Windows XP application works well. However, since my company force us to upgrade to windows 7 and access 2007, I will have to move the access 2000 application I developed in the new system. When clicking a button in the first form, it should save a record to the database table and copy a couple of files from one folder to another folder. It works well in old system, but when run in access 2007, I got "bad file name or number" error. I have no idea why. I tried to put msgbox in a couple of places in the cmd_click function to help debug, but I got nothing from it. I only got bad file name or number. Would you please help? I have zero knowledge in access 2007. Thank you very much!

Provided Answers: 59
    i/d guess its going to be a file permissions errors, almost certainly down to a different security model on W7. you may need to alter some setting on macros / vba code. it may be a network security issue, where you may need to alter the permissions on a directory
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    i/d guess its going to be a file permissions errors, almost certainly down to a different security model on W7. you may need to alter some setting on macros / vba code. it may be a network security issue, where you may need to alter the permissions on a directory
    Thank you so much for reply. Sorry for my limited knowledge in W7. I am the administrator of my laptop. Do I still have security/permission problem in the directory? I can create any file and directory anywhere in my laptop manually.
    Will access program have different security/permission than I use the laptop manually? This program has not been rolled out to use network drive yet, but it will be.

Whenever I load the application either in design mode or run time mode, it always shows a warning bar under the tools bar/menu : Security Warning Certain content in the database has been disabled. When I click the Options... button on the warning message and select "Enable this content", the design mode disappear completely. Is there any way to bypass that - I mean once enabled then it can keep enabled status and never ask again?

In Access 2000, I can always use design mode and then go to run time mode to test the program. If anything wrong, I can go to design mode to change the code and run again. I did not have any macros in my application at all, but I have modules to place reusable functions and global variables.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Ive only just switched my main work machine to W7, and sadly had to change to 2010 so I've little or no experience on the problems you are having. however FWIW it sounds like an internal Access problem (check security settings), or it could be that the db is not in a trusted drive, or is not a trusted application.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    Ive only just switched my main work machine to W7, and sadly had to change to 2010 so I've little or no experience on the problems you are having. however FWIW it sounds like an internal Access problem (check security settings), or it could be that the db is not in a trusted drive, or is not a trusted application.
    Thank you so much for reply! Would you please let me know how to check the security setting in access 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by newguyinaccess View Post
    Thank you so much for reply! Would you please let me know how to check the security setting in access 2007?
    I haven't got a scooby, as I have never used A2007
    however I'd hazard a guess at options or tools | options
    failing that theres always Google

Thank you! I will look into that.