Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Programatically save SSRS report to Excel and passing Parameters

Good day,

I have a SSRS Report which due to volume of data and what is required in the report takes roughly 1 minute to generate. The users then export this report to Excel anyway every time they access the report.

My question is this. Since the data is only updated once a month is there any way I can through Script such as VB, generate the Excel file from the SSRS report and pass through the parameters all in one script?

My biggest problem I foresee is that the parameters are not statis from one month to the next so would have to create a recordset and loop through everything generating the Excel spreadsheet and naming the spreadsheet DateCreated_Parameter.xls

Is this possible, can anyone help? I have Visual Studio 2003 and then old school VB6. Please help me.

Dallas, Texas
    I'm not sure I understand why the parameters would change from month-to-month? Do you wish to use VB Scripting in an SSIS package or a VB subroutine? I can do what you require using SSIS packages with a script task, or as shown below in VB.NET, or as ASP.NET page.

Public Shared Sub Get_Summary_Page(ByVal dtInvoiceDate As Date, ByVal Account_Id As String, ByRef rvInvoices As Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer)
            ' Async application
                ' Reset 
                'Set Processing Mode
                rvInvoices.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Remote
                ' Supply creditials
                ' rvInvoices.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials.NetworkCredentials = New System.Net.NetworkCredential("username", "password!*", "domain")
                ' Set report server and report path
                rvInvoices.ServerReport.ReportServerUrl = _
                    New Uri("http://localhost/reportserver")
                rvInvoices.ServerReport.ReportPath = _
                    "/Billing Reports/SummaryPage"
                Dim pInfo As ReportParameterInfoCollection
                Dim paramList As New Generic.List(Of ReportParameter)
                paramList.Add(New ReportParameter("account_id", Account_Id, False))
                paramList.Add(New ReportParameter("invoice_date", dtInvoiceDate, False))
                pInfo = rvInvoices.ServerReport.GetParameters()
                ' Assign parameters and values to report
                ' Process and render the report
            Catch ex As ReportServerException
                MsgBox("Error: Unhandled exception.  Contact Administrator for help." & ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly)
            End Try
        End Sub