Thread: Fuzzy Search

Unanswered: Fuzzy Search

Does anyone know of a good add on that will allow fuzzy text searches?
    (sql server 2008)

Specifically, I'm building up a database of how much various items, eg second hand cameras sell for on eBay. I've already written the code to download the data. But to query the database is tricky, because people keep misspelling the names of the cameras. For example, a Canon IXUS 90 IS might be entered as Canon 9015. Or they might write Cannon instead of Canon. I want a search that is intelligent enough to recognise these as near misses.

Any advice on a suitable add on?

I don't know of any addon for sql, but soundex and difference functions might do this for you with some programming logic to handle the results.

-- Soundex
    select soundex('Canon IXUS 90'),soundex('Gannon 15')

-- Difference - Change the when comparison strings to test this code snippet
    select case when difference('Canon IXUS 90','Cannon 9015') = 0 then 'no matching chars'
    when difference('Canon IXUS 90','kannon 9015') = 1 then 'do something <-- 1 matching chars'
    when difference('Canon IXUS 90','Cannon 9015') = 2 then 'do something <-- 2 matching chars'
    when difference('Canon IXUS 90','Cannon 9015') = 3 then 'do something <-- 3 matching chars'
    when difference('Canon IXUS 90','Caknon 9015') = 4 then 'do something <-- best match'
    else 'do something else' end

Provided Answers: 54
    Won't Full-Text Search (SQL Server) work?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Possibly if the data was text and not a varchar column in a table. Although the op said text, I wonder if op meant column data? Don't know the db table design.

"such as searching on a single word or phrase (and optionally ranking the result set), searching on a word or phrase close to another word or phrase, or searching on synonymous forms of a specific word."

Sounds like they are using soundex or different functions. A bit more complex though.

Provided Answers: 1
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    I have a couple of those laying around somewhere. I also have one that will do a search on every column, table in the db for a specific string. I use it to look for table(s), row, column where you might find 'test'.