Red face Unanswered: Ordercount Database - Unsure how to proceed

Hi All,

I'm designing an Ordercount database, for each entry into the database, I need to record;

Date
    Client
    Quantity
    Method (Post, Tel, Web, Fax, Online, Import, Email)
    Type (Public or Non Public)

This appears to be the easy part. I've designed a form which has option groups selecting the Method and Type out into numbers (as I thought this would be easiest) and the quantity can be either a positive or negative number depending on whether we need to remove records from that days data.

The problem comes when I think about how I'm to set up the reporting - and whether this effects the design of the database.
    I need to be able to access a report - perhaps several times during the day (ie. it needs to be live data) and I need to see a complete breakdown of each client and the amount of any order for all methods and type. I also need a running count of each client, a daily sum of all clients for all methods and types as well as all clients, and various other little stats that I think I can manage.

I'm not fabulous with access reporting, so i'm not sure where to start to get it to display right. I do have access to crystal reports as an alternative to ms access reporting but i'm just as clueless with that but if anyone would recommend me using that to report instead, then I will learn how to use it.

Basically, i'm looking for some basic direction in simple terms as as much searching as I do of the internet, the more confused im getting.

FYI i'm in access 2000

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 59
    probably best to ask this in the Access section
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    probably best to ask this in the Access section
    Fair enough, thanks for moving me on

I don't understand what an ordercount database is...

it should be possible to analyse your data in a report by sue fo the report grouping. differnet slices/appraoches may require a different report, but in essence its fairly straightforward.

ie if you want to report by customers, ordr types and so on thats one report
    if you want to report by order types, thats another report

from the little you've said so far I'd guess the standard Access reporting tools should meet most of your requirements.

the database it a count of the order that come through the dept.

Unfortunately, the report needs to contain ALL the information, broken down for each client the total quantity broken down into public methods and non public methods and all the summerys below that once more.

as an individual instance of what one part of the report will have to contain

a client "ACG" will have multiple records entered on that day from various batches of work that come through the dept, on the report I need to see;

ACG

PUBLIC
    TOTAL AMOUNTS FOR
    POST WEB TEL FAX EMAIL ONLINE IMPORTS (the 7 methods)

NON PUBLIC
    TOTAL AMOUNTS FOR
    POST WEB TEL FAX EMAIL ONLINE IMPORTS (the 7 methods)

I need a running total from previous days as well as the previous days plus what has been entered that day.

Basically, i'm out of my depth when it comes to this kind of reporting, as i'm assuming it will all be unbound text boxes either run of various queries (altho I cant get what I think should be right to work either).

If a example spreadsheet would help (what we're currently using) I can post that up.

Thanks

it can be done using Access reporting
    however you will need to do a bit of work using VBA
    create the basic skeleton of your report for the specified time period
    then run some queries to populate the previous / openign balances and so on.

ok well i'll go back to searching the internet for how-to's then,

Thanks for the info

an example spreadshet may help
    an example db woudl help

what you have to bear in mind is that most people hear don't have a huge amount of time to help others. tjhe more you leave to them, or expect them to do the less likely it is you will get much help... its five & a half hours soince you first posted.

there's not a lot of detail
    one thing that isn't going to happen is that soemone here is going to create a db, create the data create the report(s) and test them

Angry

I never expected anyone to "do" anything for me.

Many people in the past have steered me towards a helpful article or a previous post that had alluded me and i've managed to work through it myself, after all, isn't that how you learn.

I don't see how the five and a half hours since I originally posted comes into anything personally - that and it was not by my doing. If you look at the posting times - I posted, in what I thought, was a reasonable duration since a reply of some sort.

As I said in my original post, i was out of depth, which would suggest that i'm quite the amateur at this database business, therefore if you required specific details perhaps it would have been prudent as a more experienced individual to ask specific questions. Also, I did offer up the original spreadsheet if it would have been helpful (of which i was unsure whether it was or not).

I think I'll find myself an admin at this point, and get them to delete my account, as this is not the first time i have been "told off" and degraded in a posting.

For any one else's information who may well read this posting - consider the original issue resolved - thanks to searching the internet and another forum where they were a lot more helpful.