Unanswered: Python over Powershell?

Had a discussion last night with some ex-coworkers who swore by Python over Powershell. They are mostly non-DB developers / IT folk, what say ye?

Easiest way to learn Python if so?

I started digging into Powershell but don't want to get knee deep if Python is far superior.

Sorry that this is not SQL Server specific, but I know there are a lot of talented guys here that might want to chime in on their experiences.

Provided Answers: 54
    Your choice of language depends on many factors. Only you can make the right choice for you.

Powershell and MS-SQL both come from Microsoft, so the integrations and the support is likely to be far better than with any third party product. From a business standpoint, that weighs things heavily in favor of using PowerShell.

Python has good Open Source support, and fanatical developers. Unfortunately very few of those developers have experience with SQL Server, they tend to favor MySQL or flat files.

I prefer Perl over Python in the Open Source arena. I vastly prefer PowerShell over either of them in the SQL Server arena.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.