Red face Unanswered: User cant connect to database

Hi all I have an issue a with a computer, at one time she could connect to the database which is an Access 2007 front end and SQL Server 2005 as the engine. Apparently over the holiday (martin luther king) some computer techs got on her pc and changed some settings that made this possible. The connection is Mixed Mode not windows authentication, so they put in a user name and password. Well when she puts in her user name and password on this particular pc it tells her that sql does not exsist. I have no idea what the problem is, cause its not her log in she can log in any other computer with no problems accept her own that she normally works on. Help!!!??? Please

Provided Answers: 2
    More information is needed:
    - what is the error message / error number
    - how she logs on the other computer: with login name and password / or Windows Authentication
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania

Error message would be nice, the second question was answered by OP, - "she" is using Standard Security account. What's not clear is whether "she" can't logon to that server, or "she" can't logon from that particular PC.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 11
    Could be that the techs went and enabled the windows firewall. run a trace of failed logins on the server, and have her try to connect. If nothing comes up on the trace, then the request is not even making it as far as the server. If it is, then you have something to work with. The error state of error 18456 (failed login) gives a wealth of information.

The message I'm getting from her computer is "Access is unable to connect to "SCAIR' database on the 'sql.californiaindianeducation.org' server. Make sure that the database still exists and that the server is running. I checked the firewall and thats not it

Can you connect to the server through SQL Enterprise Manager/Management Studio?

yes I can connect through management studio

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm View Post
    The message I'm getting from her computer is "Access is unable to connect to "SCAIR' database on the 'sql.californiaindianeducation.org' server. Make sure that the database still exists and that the server is running. I checked the firewall and thats not it
    I don't know if this will help or not, but check the localhost file to see if there is an entry for sql.californiaindianeducation.org. Alternatively, use the 10 base address 10.0.0.123 (or whatever) in the connection string. Worth a try.

Provided Answers: 11
    Sounds like the login at the SQL Server side has a default database defined as SCAIR. On login, no matter what the connection string says, the default database is invoked first. This is why no vendor should EVER change the default database for "domain users" (I'm looking at you, Veritas). Check to see if the user has access to the SCAIR database, or if it even exists. It could have been set to restricted_user, or offline?