Unanswered: Application db2fw

Hi experts,

In my database i see lot of applications named as db2fw0, db2fw1..... and so on.

i want to know the use of these applications as why it is having so many connections..

help me.

db2fw is db2 fast writer. These are used for event monitors to write high volume event records efficiently. These run in parallel and each writer can service more than one event monitor.

This architecture was introduced in db2 9.7 to decouple the application agent from the event monitor writing, plus of course, the efficiency of parallel writes.

The number of db2fw is based on the number of CPU cores. If you find too many of them, then you can reduce the number by using a registry variable.

Contact db2 support if you need this variable, as I do not see it documented in public domain.

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Sathyaram thanks a lot..

This was the doubt i have ... i always see lot of applications when i see activity monitors... if i want to decrease this wher should i change?

if lot of writers are there, then we wont be having the performance impact ?

pl. comment

As far as I understand, db2fw will be used only when event monitors are active.

Pl contact ibm support to get info on reducing this value. iirc, it was a registry variable. I got instructions off an IBM consultant. At that point, the info was not in public domain(don't have that info handy to search now).
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks Sathya...lemme check with IBM support