Unanswered: Restore db with less files

I have a database with 4 database files and 1 log file. We are moving to a new server and we need to restore the database from a backup and move the files but we only want to use 3 database files instead of 4. Is it possible to restore the database and have the new db use less files?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    I don't know of a way to do this in the restore process, but it would be easy to migrate the data out of one file and then drop that file either before or after you do the restore.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Only way I know of dropping a file but not the whole filegroup, is (as Pat said) create a new database with the desired file layout. Transfer over the data from the old database to the new database. Personally, I would live with the extra file.

Since it's a side by side install and no damage can be done to production by trying i will test Pat's way. If not I will just live with the extra file. I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks so much for the help guys.