Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Why Do Banks Prefer Oracle?

I've been really learning as much as I can about PostgreSQL in the last 6 months and really enjoy learning ORDBMS & SQL however I've been noticing that pretty much Oracle is considered the industry standard. I come from a Linux background and while I have both Oracle 11g & PostgreSQL 9.0.3 at my work in production, I don't know enough about either to answer my own question. Just from basic Google searches, it appears that Oracle has been doing this for a very long time and it's biggest strength is features.

I will admit I started on MySQL & MS SQL, but quickly learned why those are just not good for most (my) servers.

Thanks for any info and or clarification!

Most banks have legacy systems, and Oracle has been around longer then SQL Server.
    The earlier versions of SQL Server were not as scalable as Oracle.
    Banks a very conscious of their security image, and Microsoft does not have a reputation for security.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

So basically it seems that it's more perception than anything. Most likely all qualified DBA's are comfortable in Oracle so that's what they hire / use. Not to mention I guess with Oracle, if your 1+ million dollar cluster fails, you can pick up the phone and call them however I see MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft also have support options too.

It's a lot easier to find a qualified MSSQL DBA than it is to find a qualified Oracle DBA.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    It's a lot easier to find a qualified MSSQL DBA than it is to find a qualified Oracle DBA.
    That's disturbing to me. I can't imaging running MSSQL for our production database servers. I work for the DoD and we would never consider running anything on Windows.

its horses for courses
    Oracle started life as a big server DB, SQL server didn't, although thte two are reaching out to the same market places.
    Banks have had massive computers for a long time, and massive generally meant IBM or IBM clones
    Banks, like other business, sometimes / often buy in core software, and some of that software only ran on Oracle.
    once you have established a hardware and software platform it becomes increasingly difficult to change over, not least becuase of the development effort to deploy all the new applciations at the same time on the new platform.

Oracle also has a very good name in the market place, often with people who only really care about the looks and sounds. they have heard of Oracle, heck some people automatically regard an Oracle db as a 'good' company irrespective of performance or price.. its called brand awareness. but just becuase it costs more or is better known doens't neccessarily mean its the right db for any / all applications.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So I guess here's my real question. All this talk about Oracle has so many features but honestly how many of those features are used for banking or someone like NYSE? Do you think your bank could run on PostgreSQL and nothing more and still be rock solid?

Quote Originally Posted by carlosinfl View Post
    that's disturbing to me. I can't imaging running mssql for our production database servers. I work for the dod and we would never consider running anything on windows.
    . .

Quote Originally Posted by carlosinfl View Post
    ...it's more perception than anything

that's fine.everytime I interview a candidate around DC to work for my private company (a M$ shop), I find the ones from the defense and intel industries to lack a a certain something.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    that's fine.everytime I interview a candidate around DC to work for my private company (a M$ shop), I find the ones from the defense and intel industries to lack a a certain something.
    Just curious what it is you find that Microsoft administrators have that defense and Intel candidates don't?

I don't think that's the right comparison.

Teddy is right. I am talking about the difference between private and public sector software developers.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Banks, and other corporations that have been around for more than 50 years probably started with COBOL and standard data files, and then replaced the data files with calls to a RDBMS in the late 1970s.
    If you consider a small shop with 10 programmers producing 1000 lines of finished code per day starting in 1970, they would have something like 7 million lines of code by 2000. Then ask them to change from one environment to another.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosinFL View Post
    That's disturbing to me. I can't imaging running MSSQL for our production database servers. I work for the DoD and we would never consider running anything on Windows.
    Really? You need to get out more. CORE, COMPASS, and ARCOM (all DoD applications) all run on SQL Server because it can provide C2 secure systems.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

At least in my experience, more big banks run DB2 than anything, Sybase comes in second (mostly niche applications). Smaller banks tend to use whatever their account management package vendor recommends, which is often Oracle for mid-tier and MS-SQL for smaller operations.

A cursory look at Gartner seems to back this observation, but your milage may vary.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.