Unanswered: Different ways to insert multiple rows at one go.

Hi,
    I want to insert multiple rows at one go instead of writing insert into statement multiple times.So can any one please tell me different ways to do this.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    There are a number of ways to do multiple row inserts, although theere are about a dozen that will suffice for most purposes. If you can give a specific example of what you want to insert and where that needs to be inserted then I can tell you how I would do it.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

bcp 4567890

[QUOTE=Pat Phelan;6495015]There are a number of ways to do multiple row inserts, although theere are about a dozen that will suffice for most purposes. If you can give a specific example of what you want to insert and where that needs to be inserted then I can tell you how I would do it.]

Hi Pat ,
    I have one form through which user is entering number of products in application but in as single table.So currently if user is entering 5 products then I am firing insert query 5 times,if 6 products then firing insert query for 6 times & hence forth.....
    So can you please tell me various ways to insert multiple rows in a table at one go using sql server.

Thanks,
    Amit.

Provided Answers: 4
    I want to insert multiple rows at one go
    Is this what you were looking for?
    Code:
    INSERT INTO DaTable (col1, Col2) VALUES
    (val1, val2), 
    (val3, val4),
    (val5, val6), 
    You didn't specify in what form those multiple rows exist. When they reside in a CSV-file, you may wish to use BCP.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

This solution is fine if I know exact row number to insert. But in my case every time I have to insert variable number of rows.

How do you know what rows you have to insert? How do they reach you? On paper? In a CSV-file? In an Excel file? ...?

Without this information we can not help you.
    Wim

Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Our application is having 20 text boxes on a product entry page.So it depends on user,he can enter values in 5 ,7,8 or etc text boxes & hit save button.So by collecting these much rows at runtime I want to insert into database at one go.

Thanks.

Pseudo code:
    Code:
    def Save(HTMLPage):
    for i in range (1, 20):
      if HTMLPage.textBox[i] is not None:
        INSERT INTO DaTable (col1) VALUES HTMLPage.textBox[i].value
    Add some transaction logic and you're done.

This is what you need, a one click solution that dynamically stores 0 to 20 values from your text boxes. Though I think you already came up with this solution a long time ago. You want something without a loop, right?
    Wim