How to become DB Dev?

Hello all,

I think I am in jam here and need some suggestions on how best to proceed. I am interested in working to become a DB developer and have some experience with small DB designs. I currently run a web design business and occasionally have a need for a database solution(usually MySql/Php) and I like the challenge and would like to start a career in the field. Now my predicament is that at this point in my life(kids, wife, mortgage) college is out of the question. What would be the best way to go about making myself marketable to potential employers? Most job postings call for a BA in computer science at least. I am thinking MCITP: Developer cert and possibly knocking on doors until I secure an internship. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank You.

An MCITP is a good idea, and is a good way of indicating a level of knowledege- but there are many developers around -who don't have any certifications - but are excellent developers. Experience is the key -i.e working every day , full time as a developer.
    A couple of ideas - work for a voluntary organisation , get a job that is linked to DB developer work, such as a System administrator

Thanks

Thank you for the reply, and for the great ideas.