Unanswered: Upgrading Postgresql from 8.3 to 9.0.3

Hi,

Am doing PostgreSQL administration for a ERP product. Here am currently using PostgreSQL-8.3.14 and I wanna upgrade it to 9.0.3. Built latest PostgreSQL from source and passed the below command.

It dumps out all the databases in the dir /var/lib/pgsql/ and after upgrading, there were no database files in it.

Do i manually need to reload the datasources from the dump file ? or will it automatically restore the datasources?

Command :
    bin/pg_upgrade -d "olddatadir" -D "newdatadir" -b "oldbindir" -B "newbindir" -p"oldportno" -P "newportno"

Ref : PostgreSQL: Documentation: Manuals: PostgreSQL 9.0: pg_upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your guidance

Quote Originally Posted by vnandhabe View Post
    Do i manually need to reload the datasources from the dump file ? or will it automatically restore the datasources?
    If the documentation can be believed, then no. It's an in-place upgrade, so there won't be any dump files.

pg_upgrade (formerly called pg_migrator) allows data stored in PostgreSQL data files to be migrated to a later PostgreSQL major version without the data dump/reload typically required for major version upgrades

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by futurity View Post
    If the documentation can be believed, then no. It's an in-place upgrade, so there won't be any dump files.
    It can be believed
    I have done it two or three times now.

There are two modes: one which creates a completely new cluster (leaving the old data sitting where it was) or just symlinking to the old (=8.4) files that do not need to be modified which speeds up the migration quite a bit (but won't let you start the old version any longer).

Of course this is also described in the manual.

Hi futurity & shammat,

Thanks for your reply. Still i can't fix this.

Did i miss anything from the steps below ?

1. Installed Postgres-9.0 from source.
    2. Changed authentication method to "trust" from "md5" in both old and new clusters.
    3. stopped both clusters
    4. Given the command as like below,

bin/pg_upgrade -d "olddatadir" -D "newdatadir" -b "oldbindir" -B "newbindir" -p"oldportno" -P "newportno"

O/P I got when i ran pg_upgrade :

Running in verbose mode
    Performing Consistency Checks
    -----------------------------
    Checking old data directory (/old_path/8.3/data) ok
    Checking old bin directory (/old_path/8.3/bin) ok
    Checking new data directory (/new_path/9.0/data) ok
    Checking new bin directory (/new_path/9.0/bin) ok

"/old_path/8.3/bin/pg_ctl" -l "/dev/null" -D "/old_path/8.3/data" -o "-p 5432 -c autovacuum=off -c autovacuum_freeze_max_age=2000000000" start >> "/dev/null" 2>&1

Checking for reg* system oid user data types ok
    Checking for /contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch ok
    Checking for invalid 'name' user columns ok
    Checking for tsquery user columns ok
    Creating script to adjust sequences ok
    Checking for large objects ok
    Creating catalog dump

"/new_path/9.0/bin/pg_dumpall" --port 5432 --username "user_name" --schema-only --binary-upgrade > "/var/lib/pgsql/pg_upgrade_dump_all.sql"
    ok

"/old_path/8.3/bin/pg_ctl" -l "/dev/null" -D "/old_path/8.3/data" stop >> "/dev/null" 2>&1

"/new_path/9.0/bin/pg_ctl" -l "/dev/null" -D "/new_path/9.0/data" -o "-p 5433 -c autovacuum=off -c autovacuum_freeze_max_age=2000000000" start >> "/dev/null" 2>&1

Checking for presence of required libraries fatal

| Your installation references loadable libraries that are missing
    | from the new installation. You can add these libraries to
    | the new installation, or remove the functions using them
    | from the old installation. A list of the problem libraries
    | is in the file
    | "/var/lib/pgsql/loadable_libraries.txt".

"/new_path/9.0/bin/pg_ctl" -l "/dev/null" -D "/new_path/9.0/data" -m fast stop >> "/dev/null" 2>&1