Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Converting mdb to accdb

Hi all,

I am a user of 2003 looking to upgrade to Access 2010.

Can someone put me out of my misery. I am using a trial version of office professional 2010(yes, I will upgrade as soon as cash flow permits!). I wanted to upgrade a small, personal database (an mdb) to accdb to play with in Access 10, however, I cannot do so. When I load the mdb database, I lose all of the options under "file" except "print" and "privacy" (there is no "Save database.."), and all of the tabs except "file" and "home". However, if I load a test accda file, all the options (including" save database as...") are available under "file", as well as all or the tabs ("create", "external data", "database tools".

What am I doing wrong.

Can someone put me out of my misery?

John S
    Aylmer, QC

Provided Answers: 14
    Have a nice day!

Converting mdb to ACCDB

Thanks for the reply, but I am still fuzzy. I have read through that particular article (the one you referred to) a few times, and perhaps am overlooking the crucial bit.

By chance, I have half of my answer. For reasons I don't understand, loading an mdb database turned off (I guess) a part of the ribbon and the "File" tab. Perhaps this is the default for any mdb file that is loaded. I was able to turn them on for the mdbs by checking the relevant check boxes under "File", "Options", "Customize the Ribbon".

As for using "Publish and save", as per Microsoft's instructions to convert the mdb to accdb, , the "Save database as", "save as" option does not permit saving the file as an accdb (no matter what I click). The accdb option is never shown under "save as type".

Do I need to import the mdb into a blank accdb database object by object?

Sigh

Thanks again for the response.

John S

Provided Answers: 14
    I think that there is a difference in Access 2007/2010 behaviour when working with an Access 2003 database (.mdb) and when working with an Access 2007/2010 database (.accdb). Access 2010 can do both but you need to convert your mdb in accdb if you want to have all functionalities available in Access 2010.

A perhaps better explanation can be found at:http://www.liv.ac.uk/CSD/acuk_html/097.dir/097.pdf
    Have a nice day!

Welcome to MS Access 10 ADO vs DAO

Hi,

Thanks again for your efforts. I thought it would be useful to document (no matter how silly) problems encountered in going from Access 2003 to Access 2010.

First, I made my new accdb database from the mdb database I had by doing an object by object transfer (create blank database and transfer in individual objects). Bummer. Even after creating the new database, Access will not permit me to save a copy of this database as a accdb. Could be because of ongoing issues (Iam still hunting down all my ADO connections)..

In particular, ADO from 2003 does not seem to work in Access 2010. Luckily, I was able to solve the problem by switching to DAO recordsets.

Quite frankly, I never really understood the difference between DAO and ADO (other than DAO apparently being native to Access).

Regards

John S