Unanswered: Barcode data into oracle Database.

Dear all,

I need to store data from a barcode scanner directly in Oracle database. I'm oracle 10g as database.

Pls help me to solve my problem.
    Working Together...

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    software is oblivious to source of data; whether it be barcode, keyboard, or batch job.

What problem do you need solved?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent View Post
    software is oblivious to source of data; whether it be barcode, keyboard, or batch job.

What problem do you need solved?
    Actually, When a user scan a Barcode then the barcode value stored in oracle DB. This is what i want. and don't know how to do this.

Thats why i'm seeking for help.
    Working Together...

Provided Answers: 4
    Attach barcode scanner to a computer. Some models are connected to PS/2 port, and share it (through a cable) with a keyboard. It means that computer (and Oracle database) don't care whether someone typed those values on keyboard or scanned them with a barcode scanner.

How it reflects to the application (written in Oracle Forms)? You open a form; cursor blinks in a text item. You scan a barcode. Its value is displayed in the item. Push the <Commit> button, and value is now in the database.

As you can see, there's nothing special you have to do.

Thanks for your help. I'll try and let you know the result.

Btw one thing. Is PDA scanner work same way ???
    Working Together...

Yes, they all convert the barcode to a character string. No ones stores the actual barcode.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

ODBC connection?

Hi,
    Does anyone have experience of uploading the scanned data to an Oracle database, without using a Form. I've been looking at barcode scanners, and it appears that more advanced/expensive models offer ODBC connectivity.

I'd like to be able to scan multiple items and have that data loaded automatically into a staging table in the Oracle database, from where I can then manipulate it. The restriction of using the Form (whether it's Oracle Forms, Apex etc), is that the application/form has to be open and connected to the scanner when scanning.

Thanks,

Mike

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I'd like to be able to scan multiple items and have that data loaded automatically into a staging table in the Oracle database,

I suspect that it would be theoretically possible to do so, but consider the following ramifications.
    ODBC access implies separate session (username/password & COMMIT of data).
    If multiple physical barcode devices are used, how to know which data came from which unit to be associated with which separate forms session?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned about associating the data with a Forms session, I just want the data to be uploaded straight into a flat Oracle table. The barcode uniquely identifies the item, and the location the item has been scanned at will either come from data entered on the scanner, or by scanning a separate barcode.

It would be good to hear from someone who has experience of uploading data using a scanner to a database (specifically Oracle), without using a Form. I don't want the user to have to open an application and Form before they upload the data. My understanding from a bit of research is that ODBC seems the most likely way to do this?

Thanks,

Mike