Unanswered: Moving from Ingres 9.2 to Postgress

Hi there

I'm administering an Ingres 9.2 DB. What are the advantages and proces of moving to Postgress DB. I understand this is Open Source and free.

Cheers

Mat

Why is it you want to move from Ingres (Open-Source, free) to Postgress?
    If you want to stop paying for support, you could look at the Community version of Ingres and run on that - but how much does you business rely on this system? Do you really want to run without support?
    Would you be getting an adequate level of support for Postgress for free?

Chris

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawe View Post
    Why is it you want to move from Ingres (Open-Source, free) to Postgress?
    If you want to stop paying for support, you could look at the Community version of Ingres and run on that - but how much does you business rely on this system? Do you really want to run without support?
    Would you be getting an adequate level of support for Postgress for free?

Chris
    PostgreSQL is also Open Source and free
    And you get very good (and free) support from the PostgreSQL developers on the mailing list.

Hi

The fact that PostgreSQL is open source, free and with a forum where developers post answers does not make it different from Ingres.
    Ingres Community edition is open source under GPLv2 and free to use.
    Ingres development and support people are among the top posters on the Ingres forums.
    If these are the only reasons to move to PostgreSQL I'm afraid you will not get more added value by moving away from Ingres.

Good luck!
    Frédéric

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fba View Post
    The fact that PostgreSQL is open source, free and with a forum where developers post answers does not make it different from Ingres.
    It seems you misunderstood me (or I misunderstood you )
    I did not say that this will make it different. Your statement seemed to imply that PostgreSQL is not open source nor free. That's what I wanted to correct. If that was a wrong interpretation of your statement, I apologize.

Of course I can't speak for matanica (the original poster) but in my company we do have several customers which do not allow software to be used in projects that is licensed under any of the GPL licenses.

Don't get me wrong: I think Ingres is a nice DBMS and the original poster needs to be a lot clearer about why a move away from Ingres is planned.