Question on DBA pay.

Greetings. I've posted similar questions throughout the years on other forums, but thought I'd try it here.

I've been a SQL Server DBA for 9 or so years, and currently work in the state public sector.

By DBA I do not mean a developer that simply learns how to take backups and then calls themselves a DBA. The world needs them too, but I'm not it. I mean I do performance tuning, replication, mirroring, profiler, design, encryption, HA/ DR, some SSIS and SSAS, etc.

I've often kicked around the idea of installing Oracle at home and pursuing the entry level DBA certification from them. I am under no delusions here. I do not think that the heavens will part and that recruiters will be beating down my door to be the next great Sr. level Oracle DBA. However, some knowledge is better than no knowledge, and you never know what a company is looking for. I would do this in hopes of being worth more $$$. So my questions:

1) SQL Server is being used by more and more large companies every day. Wether you like it or not, they have come a long way in the last few versions. They re still behind Oracle, but are no longer the new kid on the block. All this being said, do you think that the pay gap will shrink over the next few years? Why or why not?

2) For those of you that have been both an Oracle DBA and a SQL Server DBA, are there big differences between them in terms of stress, roles and responsibilities, on call support, etc.?

Thanks!

Interesting question.

#Subscribe.