Unanswered: Passing username/password to ODBC DSN created on the fly

Good day all.

I recently set up one of my Databases (access 2007) to create an ODBC connection to SQL Server 2000 on the fly, using the aid of these two sites/articles:

How to create a DSN-less connection to SQL Server for linked tables in Access

SQL Server 2000, 7.0 Connection String Samples - ConnectionStrings.com

and all was well with the world, but we've had a slight change in that we no longer want to add the user's usernames to SQL Server 2000, and have instead opted to use a

username/password for that application/Database alone. I've created the username and password in the SQL Server, tested it and it works, but goign about making the changes for the

application itself is not so good.

The code I had is as follows:

CreateDSNConnection("MySQL", "MySQLServer", "MyDB", "MyUserName", "MyPassword")

which then calls this function:

Function CreateDSNConnection(strDescription As String, stServer As String, stDatabase As String, Optional stUsername As String, Optional stPassword As String) As Boolean
    On Error GoTo CreateDSNConnection_Err

Dim stConnect As String

If Len(stUsername) = 0 Then

stConnect = "Description=" & strDescription & vbCr & "SERVER=" & stServer & vbCr & "DATABASE=" & stDatabase & vbCr & "Trusted_Connection=Yes"
    Else

stConnect = "Description=" & strDescription & vbCr & "SERVER=" & stServer & vbCr & "DATABASE=" & stDatabase
    End If

DBEngine.RegisterDatabase strDescription, "SQL Server", True, stConnect

CreateDSNConnection = True
    Exit Function
    CreateDSNConnection_Err:

CreateDSNConnection = False
    MsgBox "CreateDSNConnection encountered an unexpected error: " & Err.Description

End Function

This does in fact create the DSN on the fly but insists on usign the user's username in the DSN connection, so I figured I needed to add the username and password variables,

changing the line to this:

stConnect = "Description=" & strDescription & vbCr & "SERVER=" & stServer & vbCr & "DATABASE=" & stDatabase & vbCr & "User id=" & stUsername & vbCr & "PASSWORD=" & stPassword

which now refuses to create the DSN, I suspect that my syntax is incorrect but it falls in line with the connection strings site above.

Can anyone tell me where i'm going wrong? I've double checked the SQL server user and it has the correct rihts to teh Database, but I cannot get those two values to write to the

DSN connection on the fly.

Thanks in advance,
    Mitch.

Provided Answers: 14
    Have a look at: Connection Strings
    Have a nice day!

Thanks for that Sinndho.

So it looks like I should have UID and PWD instead of User_ID and password.
    I changed that line like so:

stConnect = "Description=" & strDescription & vbCr & "SERVER=" & stServer & vbCr & "DATABASE=" & stDatabase & vbCr & "Trusted_Connection=NO" & vbCr & "Uid=" & stUsername & vbCr & "Pwd=" & stPassword

I'm still getting Run time error 3146, ODBC - Call failed.

Weird because without needing to pass the username and password values this code works fine for users who already have their profiles on the SQL server, but like I mentioned before this is somethign we waant to avoid for the mass rollout.

Cheers,
    Mitch

As far as I know each part of the connection string must be terminated by a semicolon (. Here's an example of a connection string I actually use:
    Code:
    c_strConnectionString = "ODBC;DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=SOLIMAN;DATABASE=Scoreboard;TRUSTED_CONNECTION=Yes;"
    TRUSTED_CONNECTION=Yes means that in this case the domain credentials of the user are used to validate the connection.
    Here's one using a user name and a password:
    Code:
    c_strConnectionString = "ODBC;DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=SOLIMAN;DATABASE=Scoreboard;UID=Sinndho;Pwd=********;"
    Last edited by Sinndho; 03-30-11 at 02:26. Reason: Username/password example added
    Have a nice day!

Thanks again for your input Sinndho.

I'll try again but if I still get no joy i'm goign to use the 'DSN'less' method.

Cheers,
    Mitch.

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!

Hi Sinndho,

I am facing the same issue with DNS less ODBC connection.
    My code is as below:
    For Un-trusted Connection:
    stConnect = "ODBC;DRIVER={SQL Server};" & vbCr & "SERVER=" & stServer & vbCr & ";DATABASE=" & stDatabase & vbCr & ";Uid=" & stUsername & vbCr & ";Pwd=" & stPassword

DBEngine.RegisterDatabase "myDSN", "SQL Server", True, stConnect

Input to the code:
    CreateDSNConnection ("111.111.111.111,63314", "ABC_DB", "User1", "Passwd1")

Error "Create DNS connection encountered an unexpected error:ODBC -- call Failed"

Can you please let me know why I am getting this error though I am giving correct details? Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    so check the actual values being set as part of the connection string
    either debug the stconnect or use a msgbox and examine each parameter and ensure its correct
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

The RegisterDatabase method of the DBEngine object is not used to create a DSN-less connection to a database server. On the contrary, this methods allows the registration of a DSN into the Windows Registry.

Moreover, it's arguments are not those of a connection string, see: RegisterDatabase Method*[Access 2007 Developer Reference]

When you want to use a DSN-less connection, you give a value (the connection string) to the Connect property of a DAO.Tabledef or DAO.QueryDef object. e.g.
    - for creating an attached (linked) table:
    Code:
    Sub AttachedTable()

Const c_ConnectionString As String = "ODBC;DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=SOLIMAN;DATABASE=Sales;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
        Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        Set tdf = dbs.CreateTableDef()
        tdf.Name = "Customers"
        tdf.SourceTableName = "Tbl_Customers"
        tdf.Connect = c_ConnectionString
        dbs.TableDefs.Append tdf
         Set tdf = Nothing
        Set dbs = Nothing

End Sub
    - for executing a stored procedure:
    Code:
    Sub DeleteCustomer()

Const c_ConnectionString As String = "ODBC;DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=SOLIMAN;DATABASE=Sales;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
        Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        Set qdf = dbs.CreateQueryDef("")
        qdf.Connect = c_ConnectionString
        qdf.SQL = "Proc_Tbl_Customers_Delete @CustomerID=19"
        qdf.ReturnsRecords = False
        qdf.Execute
        Set qdf = Nothing
        Set dbs = Nothing

End Sub
    - for retrieving data from a Table or a View on the server in a RecordSet:
    Code:
    Function GetCustomersList() As DAO.Recordset

Const c_SQL As String = "SELECT * FROM Tbl_Customers WHERE Inactive = 0 ORDER BY Tbl_Customers.Customer_Name;"
        Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        qdf.SQL = c_SQL
        Set GetCustomersList = qdf.OpenRecordset
        Set qdf = Nothing
        Set dbs = Nothing

End Function
    - For retrieving data from a Table or a View on the server in an Access query:
    Code:
    Sub GetCustomersList()

Const c_SQL As String = "SELECT * FROM Tbl_Customers WHERE Inactive = 0 ORDER BY Tbl_Customers.Customer_Name;"
        Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        Set qdf = dbs.CreateQueryDef("qry_Customers") ' A query object named "qry_Customers" is created in the current database.
        qdf.SQL = c_SQL
        Set qdf = Nothing
        Set dbs = Nothing

End Sub
    - For retrieving data from a Table or a View on the server in an array (Variant):
    Code:
    Function GetCustomersList() As Variant

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        qdf.SQL = c_SQL
        GetCustomersList = qdf.OpenRecordset.GetRows(999)
        Set qdf = Nothing
        Set dbs = Nothing

End Function
    Have a nice day!