Unanswered: Multiple Users on a single database

Greetings from Cali. I am a super green FNG NEwbie to Access so please be kind.
    I used a call center template to create a customer log for our dept. We are having trouble with multiple users (4 users total) accessing the database. The database is saved on our public drive. The database is set to shared. I'd like to know what I need to look at in order to resolve this issue. I've seen some posts that suggest to set the database on each machine to exclusive as well as on the server. i have tried this and the problem persists. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Provided Answers: 6
    Paul

Provided Answers: 7
    You need to split the database
    Be = backend
    Fe = front end

The be has the tables only in it and that put on the network drive
    The fe is put locally on each computer
    What I do is create a folder locally call c:\screens and put the front end in there
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Awesome Thank you

I appreciate the quick response. I'll give it a shot. You have made my day!!

Couldn't split the database

Greetings again..I tried splitting the database but I received an error message stating that :The database engine could not lock table 'cases' because it is already in use by another person or process. Anyone have a direction I may go in or any suggestions on what I did incorrectly. Thank you again.

Provided Answers: 6
    What version? Prior to 2007 the locking options are in Tools/Options/Advanced. In 2007/2010 they're in

Office Button/Access Options/Advanced
    Paul

To split the database you will need to do this when no one is using it.

Alternatively,
    - make a copy of the database
    - split the copied database.
    - place the back end and front in the same directory as the working version
    - when the working version is not in use, rename the working version to old or something similar then rename the copied database to the name of the working version.

Splitting the database is the best method but if its not working and this is by no means perfect but it has worked.

Create a shortcut to the database on each pc desktop, right click the icon, select properties and in the target box enter the file path to MS access in quotes followed by the original target. (Will read something like the below)

eg

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\MSACCESS.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Dbases\Test.mde"

basically you need to open the database through the access program that will allow multiple users. (Atleast it did with me)

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Invert View Post
    ...Create a shortcut to the database on each pc desktop, right click the icon, select properties and in the target box enter the file path to MS access in quotes followed by the original target.
    Running a multi-user database without each user having a copy of the front end on their machine is a tried and true method of creating all kinds of problems, including timing problems (which is what you are currently experiencing) and major data corruption!

The fact that Random Invert has had a multi-user, non-split DBs running successfully for some time is totally meaningless! I've seen reports of such apps running smoothly for as long as 14 years and then bombing out! And once trouble starts it never stops! All it apparently takes is some combination of events to occur and BOOM!

It's not a question of will the app become corrupt, but rather of when will it become corrupt. And once this type of corruption starts it will occur over and over and over again, until the app is split!

You simply have to bite the bullet and split it, before you can even begin to address the current problem. Splitting it may, in fact, solve this problem.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007