Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Can't Start MS SQL 2005 Service

I've installed MS SQL 2005 on 2003 server twice now. I did a fresh install and installed everything in default locations. I saved the install log and then after I installed SP4 (RTM) which I assume is the latest available SP for MS SQL 2005. So when I try to connect to the database using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, it can't connect to 127.0.0.1 or the host name of the machine for what ever reason. I checked to see if the service is running and I can't find anything listed in the 'Services' window for the MS SQL Server 2005. I don't know how to start or stop the services of the database. Am I missing something here?

Provided Answers: 11
    The service should be named "SQL Server (Instancename)". Default instances would be shown as "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)".

Did you install Database Engine as a named instance, or as the default instance? A named instance, you need to specify the name of the instance, in order to connect.

I did a basic 2005 installation. It checks for .net frameworks & IIS and then just click next a few times. I did all the default installation parameters & installed every option possible to the hard drive. It never asks me for anything beyond that. I don't see what I'm missing here. I'm guessing I installed it as a default instance.

Provided Answers: 11
    If you do not see the service listed, I am guessing you did a client install only.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    If you do not see the service listed, I am guessing you did a client install only.
    Let me check with our software guy. Is there a separate download for server & client or do I have to check something specific during the installer?

I just checked and it appears that you really can NOT install MS SQL 2005 using this installer. It seems like 'all or nothing':

The Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Installation Wizard is Windows Installer-based, and provides a single feature tree for installation of all SQL Server 2005 components:

Database Engine

Analysis Services

Reporting Services

Notification Services

Integration Services

Replication

Management Tools

Connectivity Components

Sample databases, samples, and SQL Server 2005 documentation

You do not have to install each component individually.

Thank you. I apologize but you were correct. Only the client was being installed. The software guy handed me some jacked up ISO images of the server software. It's working now.