Unanswered: Structure Advice

Hi all,

I've recently started working with access on a more regular basis and have some basic knowledge on databases with multiple tables but a recent project has opened my eyes to the fact that I have no real idea on how to plan the structure of a new database especially one that requires the use of calculations that will display results as well as store them within the tables.

Can you recommend any websites or books that can guide me through planning the structure of a new database? Please nothing overly advanced.

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    Here's one tutorial

Databases: Normalizing Access Data

but there are probably a gazillion examples/tutorials out there! Just Google using "MS Access" and "normalization."

It is seldom appropriate to store calculated fields in Access. The calculations should simply be rerun as needed, such as in forms, reports, etc.

Storing calculated values can lead to data integrity problems, and in most cases the calculations will take less time to perform than retrieval of the data will.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for the normalization info linq, that's helped, I have done something similar in the passed but I seem to have ignored the basics for the new project.

As for storing calculated data, would it cause issues if it wasn't used again but stored purely for reference?