Unanswered: General Question - To get the URL of parent window

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to classic ASP.I have a general question.
    I have to get the url of the parent page in my asp page.
    Is there any way to get the Parent window's url in asp.

I Know that the value could be obtained in javascript using window.parent.location.href ,then stored in a hidden variable
    and could obtain it using Request.Form .But this solution requires the form to be submitted I don't want that to happen.

And even Request.ServerVariables(HTTP_Referer) does not work since my page opens in a new window.

Any Ideas ??
    Any Suggestions??

Thanks in Advance

From within ASP you can't. You have to use javascript.

Having said that, if it is the "click a button and submit" part you are concerned about you can also grab the data and then do a client side redirect or an javascript post to get the information.

What are you actually trying to do? Detect if you are wrapped in another window and break out??

Post I suggest....

I suggest you to switch to ASP.NET 4.0. The classic ASP does not have many features that are provided in ASP.NET.

In ASP.NET you can get the URL directly so it is no big issue there.

Regards
    Market Research

Even if you switch to 4.0 you would still have to use a client side javascript to grab the URL of a parent window. The core functions of ASP happen on the server, not on the client. When you use the built in client controls you should see links to client side javascript that is actually doing the work.

You could try setting a Session Variable at the Parent asp form before you open a New Form.

Simon

Assuming you have control over that parent window,....

Really it depends what situation the OP is actually trying to resolve and as they haven't posted back since the first post I'd have to assume it's resolved or not really that criticial.