Unanswered: Informix Multilingual Database

Dear All,
    By any chance someone has a clear configuration on how to create a multilingual database using IDS 11.5FC8 ?

I've tried to setup a DB_LOCALE = en_US.UTF8 but does not seems to be working.

Regards,
    Ed

Hi,

What platform are you on, and what errors are you getting?

We have an 11.50 instance running on Windows with a database using the euro symbol. All that was required at the instance level was to set DB_LOCALE=EN_US.8859-15 before building the database. Depending on how you then access that database DB_LOCALE has to be set accordingly - for JDBC the url looks like this - /<server>:<port>/<database>:informixserver=<instance>;DB_LOCALE=EN_ US.8859-15
    for dbaccess just set DB_LOCALE in the environment

You can mix as many DB_LOCALES as you want in the one instance, but you'll have to set up a separate environment to access each one.

HTH

Phil

Hi Phil,
    Thank you for you reply.
    I am setting a version 11.5FC8 on AIX 6.1.
    The problem is to get a database setup in order to atorage any language (e.g arabic, asian languages, as well as european ones).

Lets suppose the application will be receiveing any kind of language (Internet)
    Some languages need to be stored in a 2/3 bytes like asiasn ones. Therefore, the datatype on the table needs to be defined as nchar or nvarchar to accomodate the values (Multibyte values). I have tried to setup en_us.utf8 and some other possible values for Locale but it keeps saying the value is not appropriate.

Regards,
    Ed

I think you need to look at Global Language Support, which I'm afraid I've not had any experience of (despite working with Informix for over 20 years!). It defintely does cater for multibyte character sets. Try this link - IBM Informix Dynamic Server v11.10 Information Center

Have you set CLIENT_LOCALE = en_us.utf8 in your environment varibales?
    If there is still problem, try to install ILS 3.50.MC5 package first.
    And for supporting more utf-8 characters, set GL_USEGLU=1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by edagostini View Post
    Hi Phil,
    Thank you for you reply.
    I am setting a version 11.5FC8 on AIX 6.1.
    The problem is to get a database setup in order to atorage any language (e.g arabic, asian languages, as well as european ones).

Lets suppose the application will be receiveing any kind of language (Internet)
    Some languages need to be stored in a 2/3 bytes like asiasn ones. Therefore, the datatype on the table needs to be defined as nchar or nvarchar to accomodate the values (Multibyte values). I have tried to setup en_us.utf8 and some other possible values for Locale but it keeps saying the value is not appropriate.

Regards,
    Ed