Unanswered: Simple question - simple user..

Hi All,

I have been self-teaching access for about 2 weeks now, but am a bit stuck now on how to make things work!

Basically I am making a staff database, recording personal staff details, and multiple companies they have previously had involvement with. It feels like I need multiple rows per record but I know obviously this is not the way to go or else I end up with many records for one staff member. Also, for each company they have worked with I need to record 4 pieces of information (tickbox or yes/no is fine).

Like this:

Last_Name Company Recruitment Travel Finance Education

Bloggs_________EDF Yes Yes No No
    ______________Oracle No Yes Yes No
    Williams________XYZ Yes No No No
    ______________Aston No No Yes Yes

I have tried creating extra tables and one-to-many relationships with junction tables etc, but with no joy.

Also self teaching has meant I do not know coding, I hope this is possible without this!

I would very much appreciate your help, many thanks in advance,
    Last edited by Lostwithaccess; 04-12-11 at 10:53.

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    You need two tables for this:

and so forth...

and so forth...

1. Create a (main) form using the EmployeeTable
    2. Place a Subform Control on the form.
    3. When the Subform Wizard comes up, select ContactTable as the source.

Access should automatically link the Main Form/Subform using the EmployeeID fields.

Now, with an employee's record showing in the main form, add a record in the Subform for each company. Access will automatically populate the Subform record with the corresponding EmployeeID.

This is a bare bones explanation, of course, but should get you started, and it doesn't require code, as the Subform Wizard will walk you through it.

You do need to start to get comfortable with code, though! Most apps of any complexity are going to require it. And we're always here to help!

Good luck with your project!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007